| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,717 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 11 | I just bought a 57 3600 dually with a flatbed. I saw a photo of one on the internet that had a step side bed on it. It looked like the truck was tubbed on the inside to allow for the dually wheels. I thought this looked really cool. Have any of you guys ever made a dually bed for a flatbed truck? Would a newer dually truck bed fit? Thanks, | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 11 | | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 113 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 113 | 68rs327,
If you look really carefully, you will notice that he has widened the bed and used a Fleetside Tailgate on it. He has also added tubs to the inside of the bed to cover the wheels.
Another member here (obs2kl) has a pickup bed on his '55 (I think) truck. His bed is not tubbed or widened, but the fenders have been spaced out 8 1/2" by a bodyshop that owned the truck previously.
I'm planning on doing something similar to my '57 3600. I'm planning on using Dually running gear and am planning on making my fenders wider by splitting them apart and adding a piece to them.
Photo | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,420 Former Workshop Owner | | Former Workshop Owner Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 2,420 | No offense intended, but to me, that truck on ebay is ugly. It looks like a very professional job, but just a bad design, at least to me anyways. I guess I need to clarify myself, I am talking about the cab. It looks more like half limo, instead of a crew cab. I have seen a couple dually beds on '46's I think in the gallery (they were 1 1/2 tons). I thought they looked nice, but as they say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" or something like that. Whatever makes you happy is what counts.
Good luck
John
~ J Lucas 2006 GMC Envoy 4.2 I6 2023 Ram 2500/Cumins 6.7 I6 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Wife’s) 2002 Silverado 2500 Gas 6.0 1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton 1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWBIn the Gallery My Flicker Photos! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 | i have seen a guy here in kansas city who set a 1951 on a 78 frame or something like that, widened the rear fenders, and put tubs from fleetside one the inside of the bed and it looks close to a factory look 1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal 1964 gmc 4000 1973 gmc 6000 2005 chevy duramax 4x4 1994 chevy 1500 Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton | | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 44 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 44 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 769 | Several years ago I saw a early '60 one ton duelly pick-up. This truck was a ranch truck and looked as if it hadn't run in years. I remember at the time thinking that it looked factory original. | | | | | Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: May 2007 Posts: 1 | I just purchased a early 47 1 1/2 ton truck. I think it is in good shape solid as a rock and I want to build a bed for it. Pumped about the truck but this is the first time to build anything this big.
the picture looked like he built a frame and put diamond plate around it. wonder if there are any plans for it out there? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 102 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2007 Posts: 102 | Hey 68rs327 what do you want for the flat bed on the truck, or do you still have it? | | |
| |
| |