| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (Peggy M),
95
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | ran across these PDF's by [email protected] [which sounds familiar from here?] on TOCMP list: 36-46 pickup bed mounts 36-46 Cab Mounts 47-53 pickup beds good exploded drawings of the assembly of hardware, thought some here might find'em useful! Bill | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 406 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 406 | Thanks for posting this information, Bill. I checked the links and noted that 37-46 trucks that I have seen do not have the bed mounts like those shown in the PDF. For 37-46 we use offset washers and carriage bolts, not cap screws bolted just to the plate on the bottom of the cross sills as shown on the PDF. I have not seen an original 36 and am wondering if that method may be correct for 36 only.
Anyone have any personal experience with 37-46 that matches the drawings?
Mar-Ktech | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Great drawings, I will be taking my '41 apart soon. From the under side I can see the wood bed floor but from the top someone has installed a solid piece of sheetmetal over everything. it is welded to an angle iron which is in turn welded to the bed sides. Does anyone know what is supposed to hold the bed sides to the wood floor. I can not tell from these drawings. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 975 | | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | That looks like the way I did my '46 1/2 ton bed.
There wasn't so much as a toothpick sized piece of wood left in the back of the truck, so I just kind of did what made the most sence.
The "block" was just a sawed off chunk of pressure treated 4x4 that I drilled straight thru.. and the "pad" was a piece of old tire tube I cut to keep the wood from "grinding" on the frame.
Assorted bolts, nuts, and washers were scored from the local farm store.
Probably won't get me front page of "Antique Truck Restoration Weekly" but it holds 6 - 55 gallon drums full of corn just fine (and the tailgate still closes!)
Altho all that weight makes the back end squat down pretty low!
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | OK the Wooden block and the rubber (tire) pad go between the "U" shaped crossmember and the truck frame. and I'll bet there are some bolts through the steel bed strips into the "U" shaped crossmember. But what holds the steel bed sides (#6) to the rest of the truck? I'm betting it must be fairly substantial because those great big rear fenders are hanging off of the steel bed sides. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 406 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 406 | Kip's41: There is an angle strip welded to the bed side and it sits on top of the wood board that is next to the bedside. The angle strip is bolted to the cross sills through the wood board and that holds it all together. Take a look at our catalog page http://www.mar-k.com/earlyGMbed_kits.pdf which is a picture of the complete metal parts bed kit for a 47-53 truck, similar to yours. You can see the angle strip welded to the bedside and where the cross sills go. The wood board goes between the angle and the cross sills although the catalog picture shows the cross sills bolted up tight against the angle strip. The angle is also bolted to just the wood in the spaces between cross sills. Angle strips are readily available and may be replaced with common tools http://www.mar-k.com/37-53anglestrips.pdf by either bolting them on or welding, although it is a bit labor intensive. Yours may likely be damaged from the plate that is welded into the bed floor. Mar-Ktech | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | Wow...Great stuff thanks a lot When I get this far I'll look you up for parts | | |
| |
| |