The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Paul Mullen), 99 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,141
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#31722 06/02/2004 4:45 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
is there a "bolt in" overdrive transmission that will replace the original 3 speed in a 54 chvy pu (torque tube)?


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Would someone here chime in and help on this. All that I know is to get an o.d. tranny out of a car.

TTT


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
From the literature I have seen, Borg Warner was making the overdrive trannies from the mid '30's on. But I have never seen one, nor heard of anybody, with the torque tube setup and O/D prior to 1955.

Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 379
At one time there was a firm that would modify the overdrive tranny by adding a different rear bearing retainer housing so it would mate to the torque tube. At the same time, I believe the torque tube itself needed to be shortened. The book "How to Restore your Chevrolet Pickup" has a chapter on this now unavailable service.
Bolter Kimo scored a "Truckstell" overdrive unit which I believe is a form of auxiliary transmission in addition to the stock unit. He has a thread here on that.
Probably the best bang for the buck is to go open driveline with a T-5, or if you want to keep the torque tube get 355.1 gears from Patrick. We've beat this topic up quite a bit here if you do a search there are some good reads. wink

Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,969
I seem to remember a 41 Chevy car with Overdrive when I was a kid, but I have no specifics.


Professional Novice
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
again thanks for info. i had checked out all the t-5 stuff but guess i was just "wishing and hopeing" there was a simple way to get a little high end speed. looks like new ring and pinion is the simplest way if i plan to keep the torque tube.


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
I believe it was Ruckstell(sp) who made an OD or 2 speed unit that was bolted to the rear end using some sort of an adapter to hook up the torque tube. I actually saw one in place on a 38 Chevy car.I've seen them for sale, big bucks, might be more economical to ditch the torque tube and go with an open driveline and a tranny of your choice.I did this on two of my trucks, fairly simple job.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 297
truckedup - what model of donor car did you put under your other vehicles? camero, nova etc?? did you keep the original front end?


54 3100 w/62 235 "Yosemite Sam"
Born a Jay Hawk, raised an Okie and resurrected in Texas!http://community.webshots.com/user/djed50

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0