Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Charles in CA, LAROKE, Wally / Montana, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, TrknGMC, UtahYork),
137
guests, and
6
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,221 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#30377 10/24/2003 5:51 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 | Since I'm getting ready to rebuild my entire brake system, is it really worth the extra $50+ to go with a dual cylinder vs staying with a single. What makes them different in operation? No, I'm not going discs on the front.
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#30378 10/24/2003 5:58 PM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 122 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 122 | I put a dual master onto my 55 1st series purely as a safety issue. If a line breaks or a wheel cylinder seal blows out on a single master system you stand to loose all braking power. On a dual system the front and back brakes are independent so if a line blows out you will only loose the front or the rear brakes but not both. Whether or not it is worth the extra $50 bucks is purely a personal issue of how important you believe that issue is (in my opinion) but you should also take into account how fast you plan to drive the truck, additional weight you put onto the truck, etc.... Hope this helps.
Steve 55 1st Series 3/4 ton
| | |
#30379 10/24/2003 6:06 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | As someone who has survived a line blow out on a single cylinder system (at freeway speed) I say spend the $50 extra if you are going to replace the master anyway.
Imagine going down a hill and only having your mechanical emergency brake to stop yourself...
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
#30380 10/24/2003 6:41 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | New front bumper, steel: $100 Junkyard right front fender: $250 delivered Miscellaneouse bolts, brackets, and retainers: ~$150 New dual master/power booster/lines&fittings: $400 Not killing a family in a RAV4 who pulled in front of me when I was doing 45 mph: PricelessHow does that $50 sound now? (I suppose I'm gonna get a letter from the MasterCard attorneys. :p ) | | |
#30381 10/24/2003 10:49 PM | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 111 Member | | Member Joined: May 2003 Posts: 111 |
35 + years of rollin' steel!
| | |
#30382 10/24/2003 10:53 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | cmayna, Simply put, A single master cylinder puts all your eggs in one basket. If the basket fails, you are in trouble.. A dual master gives you room for error. If a line or a wheel cylinder fails, you have more eggs to help you stop.
Aren't you the guy that is re-painting his truck ? If you have money for paint you should have money for a proper braking system.
Spend the extra cash and make sure you don't kill yourself or anyone else..
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | |
#30383 10/24/2003 11:03 PM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 2,839 |
Craig My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear My truck ....... Respect The Rust If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
| | |
#30384 10/25/2003 1:35 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | ok, now that i can drive hiway speeds, what kind of dual master cylinder will work on my '54 3800 panel(gvw 8800)on 7.50x17's and what all has tobe done to install it? I'm going to keep the old brake shoes at this time. Hey Hedge, what kind are you using? tony'n weatherford (at work) :rolleyes:  | | |
#30385 10/25/2003 3:23 AM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 385 | The kit I ordered is a GM dual resevoir master with a 7" booster attached, it came with a heavy steel bracket to push the whole assembly away from the framerail (room for the booster) and a linkage offset rod to connect to the stock pedal. I believe it was made by MP , but I can't remember which vendor took my money. The installation instructions and receipts were lost in a move a couple years ago. For a halfton pickup, you don't really need a booster; I went with one because of the weight of a loaded panel truck. This put the resevoir next to the transmission cover, and the M/C fill hole in the floor is now useless. You can sidestep this issue with a remote resevoir on the firewall or perhaps the non-booster duals line up better with the stock floor hole. :confused: When you go to a dual-circuit master, you must bend new line. The original configuration has three wheels on one line and the left front on it's own feed; you will never get balanced braking unless you put the fronts on one line, and the rears on the other. I spent a day under the truck with a tapemeasure, then went to NAPA for various lengths of line with flares and fittings attached. Taking my time and doublechecking each fitting, the whole brake system took a day to install. The new M/C had 3-lb. residual pressure valves built in, but for drum brakes you will want 10-lb. valves (MP sells them for $26/each). This will take the "mush" out of the pedal and give you a quicker brake response. Now I just need to figure out how to keep RAV4's off the grille. :rolleyes: | | |
#30386 10/25/2003 4:13 AM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | If your staying dum all around, a dual master cylinder from a '70 Chevy Nova will work. It has equal reservors, and 1"bore size. You'll need to fabricate your own mounting mounting.This can be made by reworking the original bracket. | | |
#30387 10/25/2003 5:16 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | ok whitelighting, you're saying a master cylinder from a '70 nova will work on a '54 1 ton, 137" wheel base PANEL TRUCK ? thanks again, tony'n weatherford(at work still) :rolleyes:  | | |
#30388 10/25/2003 5:17 PM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 16 Member | | Member Joined: May 2001 Posts: 16 | I just did this on my 1 ton. I used the Chevy duty bracket along with a M/C from a 66-74 Impala. Works great. Also those residual pressure valves, you can get them at summitracing.com for only 16.95. Although I decided to see what it was like without them first. So far so good.
55.1 3800
| | |
#30389 10/28/2003 4:26 AM | Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 1970 Posts: 365 | I read an article in a recent Street Rodder magazine that has me intrigued. They used a master cylinder in the stock location using the stock pedal, which was plumbed to a slave cylinder that operated an ordinary vacuum booster/dual master cylinder in a remote location (under the passenger running board). In the article they used a dual master cylinder in the stock location, which required the use of two slave cylinders tied together to push the rod in on the booster.
Using the dual master cylinder in the stock location to run two slave cylinders seems a little redundant to me. There are LOTS of medium duty trucks with hydraulic brakes out there that run single master cylinder and a hydrovac. The hydrovac then boosts the line pressure and sends the brake fluid to all braking wheels. There is no 'dual system' on these trucks.
I think there are definite safety atvantages to running a dual system, as have been explained above. I have been seriously considering using a new stock master cylinder to operate a slave cylinder that would operate a booster/dual master cylinder in a remote (easier to access for service) location. I need to do some more research on this idea, but I would like your input on this idea. | | |
#30390 10/28/2003 6:23 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | I have a couple of stovebolts that see regular use on the road. My '49 is getting all new wheel cylinders, rebuilt master cylinder and all new stainless lines. It is essentially stock except for the '57 235 in it. The probability of blowing a wheel cylinder and or hose and or tube with everything new is something that has to be weighed against whatever mods you do to the rig that detract from you desire to stay stock.
For me with this truck - with all new components the probability of catastrophic failure is pretty much nada. I have done due diligence in removing risk by replacing everything . . . good enough for me. | | |
#30391 10/28/2003 7:09 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Ken, what bore diameter master cylinder do you need?
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#30392 10/28/2003 7:28 AM | | Anonymous Unregistered | | Anonymous Unregistered | Mech - I already have all the parts and pieces. I am just waiting for the Fed-X ground package with all the tubing. | | |
#30393 10/28/2003 1:13 PM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 Member | | Member Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 523 | The RPV's are only nessary if your master has no check valve!
If you get the master bore size right you just don't need a power booster
Some years ago I ran a Lola T294 .....this thing had four wheel disc brakes and two dinkey masters and no booster!! It would haul in from close to 200 But it didn't carry much
No matter what kindda setup you use make sure everything is in good condition.
If your running 'airquip' please use only steel NO BRASS NO ALLOY | | |
#30394 10/29/2003 7:23 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | If your going with the original master cylinder ect.... Use Silcone brake fluid, it absorbs less water the the regular stuff. | | |
#30395 10/29/2003 8:01 PM | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 234 | Careful on that recommendation, I don't recall if the silicone brake fluid may be compatible with all the old rubber seals. Primarily the application for that fluid is racing and high temps, the old stuff should be sufficient...
...IF YOU REGULARLY REPLACE YOUR FLUID! That's right, once a year drain and replace with new fluid. That's a step many folks forget for keeping the brake system rust free.
-Boyo
'48 Willys CJ-2A / '55.1 Chevy 3600 / '66 Austin-Healey 3000 / '04 Volvo wagon (parenthood!?)
| | |
#30396 10/31/2003 2:34 PM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 | Craig, replace all of your brake lines...it's a piece of cake. It's easier to bend-up your own(and 1/4 the cost) than trying to fit in prebent lines($$). You can buy the lines with the fittings on there already from Napa, Kragen, etc. I just followed the basic routes and used the rubber-coated line clamps where I thought it was good. One of my stock lines was cracked where it runs down the frame (hidden) and decided to let go while backing the truck off the lift at the muffler shop. GLAD there was a good sized parking lot behind me. Don't let a shop do it for you....piece of cake. | | |
#30397 10/31/2003 2:38 PM | Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2001 Posts: 182 | OH yea...JMO...I ran silicone fluid in my old beemer and it screwed-up every rubber piece it was in contact with. Swelled the rubber up and they had to be replaced. I don't use it. | | |
#30398 10/31/2003 3:53 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,745 | Oh yeah, and keep those bleeders tight... :rolleyes:
54 3100 with 235 62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
| | |
| |