| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,390 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#30052 01/25/2005 11:56 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | In changing from a 216 to the 235 engine I have installed the required new short waterpump/spacer combo but the radiator is still back too far for fan clearance. I'm having the radiator side mounting flanges relocated as far back as possible and vertical in order to move the radiator as far forward as I can. Will also lower it about 2" in the surround to catch more air.
Question is: to those of you who have done this, what fan did you use? I've checked out 17" GM car fans but still pretty thick. This must clear the balancer so 16" may be better (?). All advice appreciated. | | |
#30053 01/30/2005 8:23 PM | Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2003 Posts: 2,733 | Come on guys! SOMEBODY must know something about this problem.
I really hate it when I am ignored. :o | | |
#30054 01/30/2005 9:35 PM | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I used an electric fan when I did my '55 first series. | | |
#30055 02/01/2005 12:04 AM | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 130 | i'm using one of those after market small performance fans. i had to modify it slightly to clear the lower pully. next addition will be a shroud, but it seems to work fine without one.[57 235 in a 55.1, shortened water pump].
our garage is a non-profit organization
| | |
#30056 02/01/2005 12:49 AM | Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2000 Posts: 112 | If you remove the spacer will the fan clear, there is a close fit like 1/2inch between radiator and fan. I know my forty is like 1/2 inch with the 216 in it.
Jbennett 40 burb | | |
#30057 02/01/2005 3:30 AM | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 94 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 94 | Or, you could get a water pump adapter and use the 216 water pump. This places the fan higher up for more efficient cooling, provides plenty of clearance for the fan, and makes the 235 look more like a 216 for the "original" look.
Do a search on this forum for "water pump adapter" and you will find all kinds of great info. A fellow 'bolter manufactures and sells them. I would have used one if I hadn't found a '54 261 that came from the factory with the old style pump.
Steve | | |
#30058 02/03/2005 10:09 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 53 | I used a flex fan from NAPA. I had to trim about an inch or so off the end of the blades, but it seems to work pretty well. How did all this sawdust get under the hood? | | |
| |
| |