The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, R&S 51 GMC, KEVINSKI, Bill Hanlon, Swami29, Phak1), 100 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,339
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28915 08/28/2003 1:11 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
I have always been pretty proud of my brakes until this morning. As I was backing down the driveway, put my foot on the pedal and it went to the floor (luckily I was moving very slowly). Once I stopped I went forward, got out to see if there was any brake fluids on the ground or in the garage and nothing.

A few moments after I pumped the pedal, my brakes came back. What is the symptom doctor?
Maybe I need to check the fluids and bleed the lines ?

My beast has never done this to me before frown


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#28916 08/28/2003 1:21 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
For sure you need to at least check the fluid, are they still up now ??Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

#28917 08/28/2003 1:30 AM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
Tell us about your master cylinder. Is it new ? Old ? Rebuilt ? Single or Dual ?


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
#28918 08/28/2003 2:49 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
First time in 10 years I looked in the old (probably originally single stage unit and found about 1/4" of muddy fluid. So I quickly filled it up but I'm sure I should probably bleed all lines this weekend. Don't see any leaks anywhere yet so can't say if I need a new master cyl.

Geez, maybe instead of just relying on mother nature to watch over my truck, I should get the fluids sometimes ????


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
#28919 08/28/2003 2:52 AM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
The fluid did not evaporate. Try peeling back the dust covers on your wheel cylinders. I am betting they will be wet with fluid..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
#28920 08/28/2003 4:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 385
I was headed out to get some new tires for the truck, pulled to the end of the driveway (about 10% downhill grade), stopped, waited for traffic, took a left down the hill. Ten seconds later I had no brakes whatsoever. The stock master had spent years stewing in it's own muck and the piston seals had all but dissolved. When I put fresh fluid in the system all it did was wash the remnants out of the bore, about 10 pumps and it was just sloshing fluid around. I ended up buying a new M/C, lines, and sheetmetal.

At the very least, you should flush the system thoroughly and check for any leaks at the wheel cylinders/line blocks. Inspect the lines, and keep in mind that they tend to dissolve from the inside; replace if they are questionable. "Brick" the brake pedal and make sure it doesn't leak down, and make sure the parking brake will be there in a crisis.

"Safety forced." - Red Green grin


1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.
#28921 08/28/2003 5:01 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cmayna - aren't you are getting ready to do a paint job? I have just picked up all new wheel cylinders and a master cylinder and three new flex hoses and am waiting for Rugo to order his new stainless brake lines so we can get a qty discount and the total bill will be much less than it would cost to straighten an AD grill not to mention the rear end of just about any car.

If you are going to invest in your truck, brakes are about the best investment you can make. If your fluid is mucky looking, no doubt it has a lot of moisture in it and you have corrosion in your lines and cylinders.

#28922 08/28/2003 5:12 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Let's put it all in a nutshell. First is a complete inspection. Pull all the drums and check for leaky wheel cylinders, like 53 4 me said. I would bet that Ken is right, you have at least one leaker. Replace them all if you do. Put the drums back on and adjust the brakes. If you can, suck all of the fluid out of the master cylinder, you need to get all the gunk out of it. Fill it up from a fresh bottle and bleed each cylinder until clean fluid comes out. Don't forget to keep the m/c full. Once the bleeding is over, push the pedal down as hard as you can and hold it there for a minute or two. Usually takes both feet. IF the pedal suddenly drops, you probably have a bad m/c, if it goes down slowly it could be the m/c, a leaky line or wheel cylinder, or you didn't get all the air out of the system.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#28923 08/29/2003 10:58 PM
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 39
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 39
Tell me about it, brake inspection is very very important...I cant stress it enough.I lost my brakes on my way to work.Once I left the house the pedal felt fine, but once I got to the first stop light to make a left hand turn the pedal went soft.I didnt think much of it(big mistake).While driving down the road another red light, I hit the brakes and the pedal went all the way to the floor I kept pumping and nothing.Luckily a nice(new) pontiac grand am on the side of the road decided to stop for me.No real damage so, yeah always check your brakes on these nice ol' trucks of ours because brakes are useful once in a while grin


BIGGY

1965 CHEVY
"BIG RED"
#28924 08/30/2003 2:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 427
My experience is that if you replace the ENTIRE brake system on your old truck, it will be the last time you will touch for another 50 years or so.

DOT3 fluid is hydroscopic which means it will draw in moisture if it is exposed to it. Once you develop a leak, it's working in two directions; letting fluid out and moisture in. That in turn sets the old tin worm to work and that in turn starts rotting lines from the inside out. A brake line can be all painted up and look great and blow out an elbow at the first stop sign.

Replace the whole enchilada (wheel cylinders, master cylinder, lines) now if you do anything and you'll never have to deal with brakes again in all likelihood. Shoes can wait if they are ok.

#28925 08/30/2003 2:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 687
Cmayna: Everybody is correct, especially Ken! You have a moisture problem. Not Good!! These trucks are great but they got to brake and brake now. Replacing whole system on my 59 don't care too much about myself but I do want to protect maws and the little ones. Money well spent. popcorn The Truth is Out There (JUST DO IT)

#28926 08/30/2003 3:52 PM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,839
Though I was able to get the brakes up and "sort of" running by putting more fluid in, I totally agree regarding replacing the entire system including all lines. As Ken said "if your fluid looks mucky..." My fluid is as muckly lookin as a daiper with a real problem. There is definate moisture in the system.
Time to replace. It will be a couple weeks before I do it but will reply back when done.

Thanks to all for your advice.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0