The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Otto Skorzeny, joe apple), 64 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,139
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2788 01/08/2003 3:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 12
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 12
Hi everyone. I have a '52 Chevy with M II front suspension, and I would like to keep the original column and steering wheel. Does anyone have any sugestions about the best way to do this? Can I just cut it off and weld on a u-joint? I seem to remember someone talking about this awhile back, but I can't find it.

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 259
Chevy Duty made up a kit to keep the stock column when connecting up to their power steering kit "I think they use the newer 70-80's box that mounts on the outside of the frame" Part # 76-985A .

Your basically going to need a lower support bearing to support the inner shaft at the lower part of the column. Couldn't you just use an Upper mast bearing on the bottom to support the inner shaft? You'll still to make a bracket to secure the bottom of the column to the toe board, two Borgeson joints and a coupler shaft to make the connection from the column to the Mustang rack.


Joe
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 662
I did it. It's working fine as frog hair.

http://www.chuckthetruck.homestead.com/page11.html
At the bottom.

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 12
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 12
Thanks guys. I've got it now.

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 19
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 19
For those interested, RB's Obsolete sells what they call Save-a-Column designed as a unit to retain an original Column and Steering wheel and connect to other shafts.


JohnRJoyner
48 Suburban,55 1st 1/2 ton, 53 GMC

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0