The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (baldeagle, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 94 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,336
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Okay, here's the deal... My 52, 3100 has a mid 70's 250 cid and stock 4-speed. I've tuned and retuned, replaced the fuel pump, added a clear fuel filter (so I can see what's going through the line) and am continuing to have a problem.

The truck starts pretty easily cold, and runs like the dickens when cool. However, after a drive, it's sometimes (key word here is sometimes) hard to start and then wont idle worth a darn. It even will sometimes just stop running. At other times, it starts and runs fine.

When it stops, it doesn't sputter or anything to make me believe it's a fuel issue. It just simply stops running. Most of the time, it will continue to run with pressure on the pedal.

I haven't replaced the distributor (HEI) cap and/or rotor.

I'll probably start there, but I'm curious if any of you thought it might be carb settings, or does anyone out there have any other thoughts.

Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 28
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 28
Jed

It seems like its the 52 chevies from hell night.
Wish I knew the solution for either one of ours, but I sure don't. Somebody here will though I bet. Good luck.
harry

Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Wild guess #1 .

Is the fuel cap properly vented ?

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Dusty, I can't say that I would have even looked in that direction. Guess I'll check that out today. Thanks for the pointer. Anyone Else?????

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 77
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 77
Another thought would be to check the vacumn advance on the distridbutor to see if it is functioning properly. I had one once that was stuck and had the timining fully advanced right from idle! Not knowing this I retarded the initial timing. This made the thing run somewhat in the same way you described that yours does. Take a timing light to it and see if the timing advances when you rev it up. If it doesn't, then what I described is the problem! This one had me scratching my head for several days! :confused: eek


Just trying to avoid the potholes on the road of life!

49 Chevy COE
55 Chevy pickup
+ way too many other project vehicles!
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Replace the module in the HEI.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Thanks for the suggestions COE Junkie, and Wrenchbender. I'll have to track down the timing light and see what happens. I'm somewhat naive, so pardon the ignorance... If the scenario you described is the cause, what's the cure. Also, Wrenchbender, if you don't mind. How would temperature affect the engines running in this manner?

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Electronic components are very heat sensitive.
In fact there is a small amount of silicone
compound under the module to transfer heat.
If this is not put on the new part will fail
in short time. The way your engine dies without
sputtering makes me believe it is ignition
related. The module is generally the culprate
in this case. Unless you have elaborate test
equipment you should try another one. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Wrenchbender. Thanks for the lesson. I'll go that route and see what happens. Appreciate the help.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0