The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Shade Baby, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, Wally / Montana), 119 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,448
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2488 02/20/2004 3:11 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
Hey Stovebolter's,

I have the opportunity to pick up a late eighties Caprice Classic. I have a 55 first series with a 68 camaro 283 small block and four speed borg warner transmission. I would like to use the rear end and up date my braking system. Can this be done with this type of vehicle. I am also looking a borrowing power steering parts as well.

Am I being realistic here? I want to update my truck and make it a little safer. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Chris


Chris 1955FirstSeries
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Before you buy it, measure the rear end between the wheel mounting surfaces. I think you will find it is too wide. Most use a camaro or nova size for a donor.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Check the wheel bolt pattern. Some big Chevys have the same larger five-bolt pattern as the big GM cars and pickups. Finding a disk brake conversion that would match could be a trick.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 60
Great post, my friend has an 85(?) or so caprice classic as well. We were planning on stealing anything worth keeping for my 59' and anything any of our hot rob pals may need. Then off to the yard!!!!

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely measure the rear end on the caprice and make sure the wheel bolt patterns match. If the caprice doesn't work for some reason what year class of camaro's would I look for?

Thanks,
Chris


Chris 1955FirstSeries
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 438
Chris-

Check out this extensive page with tables of measurement info for rear end swaps, IFS and other driveline items.
Rear End Swap Info

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 288
Thanks 51PhatBoy,

I will definitely check it out. Sounds like I could get the Caprice for under $800 bucks.


Chris 1955FirstSeries
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 19
chris55.1,

sounds like a winner chris, i don't know about the later years, but i installed a 1981 caprice 10 bolt on my 51'half ton, just fine i'm using 10x15 rally's, chevy blt. pattern. ground down the axle smooth and welded new pads and two inch high blocks for a little lower stance.

never bottoms out, used 69 camaro shocks to keep it level, nice set up no regrets. good luck. jake

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I'm not sure I'd spend $800 for those parts. Unless the car has more than a rear axle and power steering for your project you might be able to spend your money better somewhere else.

Around here $100 to $150 will buy most any rear-end at a wrecking yard, and that should be enough to buy the complete IFS with power steering from one of the more common subframe donors.

I have the rear from under a '73 Chevelle under my 55 1st, and it fits real nice. I paid less than $100 for the complete car with a 350 and turbo 350.

The kits that put power steering on the original straight axle use the power steering box off a of 73-87 Chev pickup, not the one off a car like the Caprice.

I'd encourage you to look elsewhere unless this car has lots of parts you're willing to work hard to adapt.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#2497 02/20/2004 11:10 PM
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
"MONGO"
"MONGO"
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 623
Chris,
I picked up a 91 Caprice Classic cheap like that with hopes of useing it under my 51 extended cab. I've got an article somewhere about modifying perimeter frames from cars to use under old iron. If you want I could scan and email it to you if your thinking that route. The wheelbase front to back is pretty close but I'm not sure on the width. If your not gonna go that route there's ton's of parts you can scavenge off of it, is it a runner? If so It's prob. got a 305 (or 350 if it was a cop car) you can pull and use. I got mine cause a friend bought it on ebay to use the motor, tranny, and electronics for the EFI in his 72 1/2 ton, after that was done he didn't much care for the rest of the car so I got it cheap.

Mongo


Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
https://mongosgarage.com

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0