The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Rick Brown, Bill Hanlon, 2-Ton, 5 Window 9434), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,238
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#246645 01/23/2007 3:10 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Hi guys, been awhile since Ive been here. Hey, Im needen a set of tires for my 52. Now Ive got the stock 16" [non split] rims. Heres my question. Do any of you kind folks know of any tall,narrow radial tires [the brand & size] that would run me, say in the $400-$500 range,mounted??? Ive looked a lot in old tire post on here & havent found any. Im in L.A. Cal. Thanks for ANY info you can lay on me. Jeff

#246646 01/23/2007 3:31 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Do you have a Cooper dealer nearby? They have narrow and tall LT radials that fit the rims. As far as sizes, do a search on "radial" and you will get a good idea what people are using.

#246647 01/23/2007 3:43 AM
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 87
You might try the White Wall Candy Store.

http://www.whitewalltires.com/


Toxictiki

'59 Apache 3100 panel (235)
'51 Chevy Fleetline Deluxe (216)
'48 Binder KB-1 (flathead 6)
'77 Cadillac DeVille (425 donor)

"Once I was 'Chairman of the Bored' then I bought a Stovebolt."
#246648 01/23/2007 3:53 AM
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 364
Jeff...I've put 215/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler blackwalls on my '49 Burb...they look great. Bought them on ebay...almost brand new for less than $300. delivered.


Steve G.
--------------
1942 Chevrolet 1/2-Ton Pickup Truck

#246649 01/23/2007 3:59 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Hey thanks for gettin back to me so fast guys! Ive checked w/ cooper before, YIKES! pricey Also checked out the whitewalltires.com Again Yikkes!! As I said I have about a 4-$500 budget. Now, I know its do-able[is that right??] I just dont know the exact ones guys use that "look the part" w/out costing me an arm. Thanks again for the info. Jeff

#246650 01/23/2007 4:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jeff,

Cooper not Coker.

My Cooper LT radial tires (blackwall, like the originals) were mounted and balanced, with new tubes and plastic stem protectors, for less than $500.

Tim

#246651 01/23/2007 5:00 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
oh,ok Tim, thanks! I will start checkin on them. Jeff

#246652 01/23/2007 5:39 AM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
OK, I think this will work [depending on $$] A Cooper SRM II [2] Radial LT. Is that what you have Tim?? I think model # lt215/85R16 I know I'm bein a bit anal here but besides looks & $$ I am thinking of the clearance issue. Thank you again for all your info! Jeff

#246653 01/23/2007 1:08 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Jeff,

I did a search on "radial" in the general forum and found this (exactly what you found):

Cooper 4 ply SRM II
LT215/85R16 (with tubes, on original 16" rims)

Other manufacturers should also have a similar LT radial. Usually it is not on display but it is in a sales brochure or in their on-line listings. The brochures and on-line listings usually give dimensional information.

As I recall, the original tires had a loaded diameter of between 28-29 iches. I think that Cooper radial was supposed to have a loaded diameter of about 31 inches but on my rims the diameter is a little larger (maybe due to narrow rims). The larger diameter results in lower rpm.

Good luck,

Tim

#246654 01/26/2007 10:51 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 22
Hey guys, just wanted to thank you all for help. Tim, thank you for all your input. "babys got some new shoes now"!Went w/an offshoot of Firestone brand called WHEEL TRAC Went w/some tall 31" pretty narrow suckers. They look/feel great! What a dif. from bias tires! Whole thing was just under $500 w/balancing bla bla. Thanks again guys!! Jeff


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0