Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,375 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 | Hello, I know this is a Chevy / GM Forum, but I have a Ford question: Has anyone ever seen a 1940 / 1941 Ford Suburban? I have one, and I would like to get some more information on it. It looks just like a 1940 / 1941 Ford 1/2 ton panel, except for it has windows in the back just like a Chevy. And NO, these windows were not "cut" into the sides of the panel, they were factory die-stamped. From what I have found out so far, this may have been a military application. I cannot even find a picture of another one on the internet anywhere. Anybody out there that might have any info? Thanks, HISPEEDGAS - Michigan | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 | Hi Speed, I couldn't find anything on an early ford with windows, but maybe someone here can help you out with some info... http://www.paneltruck.com/links.html | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 | Thanks for the info. I had a request for info on the PanelTruck.com website for a while, and I did get one response - from a guy in Missouri who had a 42 Ford Suburban. Unfortunately though, he knew as little as I do about the origin of these trucks. I will try to add some photos of this truck sometime.... | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 | Now you just can't come in here and talk about your Ford Suburban with out letting us see some Pix!! | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 305 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 305 | best advice sell it on e bay buy a real truck a gmc or chevy
ya I know a few rednecks.Thay all drive chevys to, Proud member of the Old Dominion Stovebolt Society AND A MARINE trucks range from 1942 1/2 ton to 1965 fire engine
| | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 | Joe, It is not a sedan delivery. It is identical to a 1/2 ton panel. It also has barn doors in the back just like a panel. The front clip is identical to a pickup truck. The rear fenders are the same as a panel (I have 2 NOS fenders). I will have to figure out how to add photos of the truck. The front clip is not on the truck now, but you can still see by my photos what it looks like. Thanks for the info | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 | Email me the pix and I can post them for you. [email protected] | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 | Thanks for the help - I will e-mail the pictures to you. Some other notes on this truck: The rear windows are stationary - there are no window regulators. There is wood framing around the windows that held the glass in place. The guy I bought this from told me that the guy he bought it from had purchased it at a auction in the early 70's. He told them it had been used by the Air Force to transport soldiers to and from the tarmack. It looks like it spent the most recent part of its life working for some type of construction company, as the current lettering on the doors suggest. Again, thanks for the help. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | That was done, by one of the many Body Companys, that would build Ambulances, School buses, etc. Ford never had a Production Line vehicle,in the U.S. like this. Could have also been built, in another Country. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Contact the name on the side of the truck for information! Do some research in the town that it was from. I am sure you will find pictures and info. Did this truck have rear seats? Does it still have them?  .....g Garretthes, nice photoshop work! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2004 Posts: 221 | I found some signwork on my 59 suburban while sanding from a bike shop in Phoenix Ar. I tried emailing them but never heard back. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2002 Posts: 2,549 | Companys like, Barnette, Armbruster, National, Franklin, & Protor-Keefe Body Co., did, have the capabilities, to produce, that body roll, spoken of earlier. I had a '48 Chevrolet Panel, once, that had been, one of these conversions. | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 7 | Garretthes, Nice photoshop work! I have the original front clip to this truck. The front clip that you blended on to my truck appears to be from a larger model - I know the 1 ton and up trucks used a front clip like the one you blended. My truck, however, is a half ton - the front clip is identical to a 41 Ford 1/2 ton pickup. The 40 Ford truck is also the same front end, just the trim emblem on the front of the hood is different. I have the front seats, but no rears. I have also managed to find 4 NOS fenders - as I stated, the fronts are the same as a pickup, the rears are the same as a 1/2 ton panel. The remainder of the body on this truck is not too bad. I checked with the Henry Ford Museum, and they told me this trucks rear body section was more than likely done by a coachbuilder (like others had mentioned). If I give them the serial number, they say they can research it for me (@ $35 per hour)! These archives are also available to the public, so I guess I will have to go there sometime. Thanks for all the help, Bernie | | | | | Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2004 Posts: 1,780 | Towe auto museum Try these guys for information. They are pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Fords. I would start searching using the information you found on the doors or any other written info that you have. Contact an old car club in that area, maybe even the local Model A Chapter. That was a pretty fancy truck in those days and if the family is still around, they might have pictures and a lot of history to go along with it. A well doccumented vehicle brings in a lot more interest. Are yyou sure that it originally had rear seats like a Suburban or was the windows just for extra lighting? Are there visible seat mounts?  ......g | | | | | Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 62 Member | | Member Joined: Dec 2005 Posts: 62 | Ford did have their panels converted for customers by several independent outfits. These were usually converted for the military, utility companies, and other commercial enterprises. Marmon Harrington made several in 4X4 packages.
Very nice truck, I envy you!
Baldbaron | | |
| |