The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, Bill Hanlon, 1 invisible), 197 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24489 11/23/2003 2:28 AM
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 60
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 60
took the pig/pumpkin out of a 1968 chevy 20 series 3/4 ton today , has 32 teeth on ring gear has 7 on pinion gear . if you divided 7 into 32 you get 4.571428
didn't 1951 chevy 3/4 ton come with a 4.57 rear end?
I have not removed the 51 pig yet hoped the 68 would give me highway speed without high rpms
what year pig pumpkin do I need for 3.90 or low 4.00 ratios? Or am I going the wrong way should I be looking for 3.00s or 5.00s ratios? thanks Bill


Bill 1951 3/4 ton 5 window pick up
1955 GMC 1/2 ton longbed automatic
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 55
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 55
As far as the specific years go, I couldn't help. If you want to cruise on the highway with low RPM's then get a high gear (numerically low) around 3.08 or so. Also, most gears below 3.50 are ok for cruising. The only drawback will be the loss of power on takeoff. Hope this helps. John


1968 Chevy C-10, 250 and 3 speed on floor, Hedman headers, Offy intake, Edelbrock 600cfm 4 barrel, HEI
1966 Chevy C-10, motor and tranny went into the '68. Waiting to be restored.
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Pumpkin needs to be from a 64-72. Most will be 4.57, the next largest quantity was 4.10, with 3.73 running a very distant, and next to impossible to find, third. You can also use the carrier you have found and buy a new 3.90 set from Randy\'s Ring & Pinion but they aren't cheap.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
I
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
I Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 101
From 1967 to 72,Chevy 3/4 tons (and I think 1-tons) with automatic, came with 4.10 ratios. The sticks came with 4.57. They're hard to find. Junkyards ask around $250-300 for the 4.10 pumpkin.

With 31" tires and 4.10's you would be running about 2670 RPM at 60 MPM. With 4.57's you would be running 2970 RPM at 60 which is on the high side if your 51 has the stock 216.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 60
F
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 60
well the 67 to 72 GM 3/4 ton automatic is the only easy 2 hour pig/pumpkin swap gets you from 4.57 to 4.10

There are kits avable to change the ring & pinion gears to get you in to the 3.s

there is a( rear end swap and what to use)on the chevytrucks.org site full of info.

thanks to all for the help and good luck to the all who diecide to change gear ratios. thanks Bill


Bill 1951 3/4 ton 5 window pick up
1955 GMC 1/2 ton longbed automatic
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you go Randy's route, you will want to get the information straight from them. I have had one conversation with them and I still don't have it straight. There is a thread on here somewhere where it was stated that Randy's can make some custom parts to allow the use of the 3.90 in the 1951 carrier. I don't understand the details at this point.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0