Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (klhansen, Bill Hanlon, 53&Me, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Ole49GMC, 1 invisible),
120
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,137 Posts1,056,437 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Does anyone know what was the last year that "Artillery" style wheels were available for Suburbans? Were they ever available on AD trucks/ | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Steve, I am not sure of what artillery wheels means. Are any of the 1954 wheels in this picture artillery style wheels? Tim | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Thanks Tim... looks like artillery wheels fit in the same category as stainless fender trim on Suburbans...looks good, but isn't really original. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 | Originally posted by steveg: stainless fender trim on Suburbans...looks good, but isn't really original. Why is that?They WERE available from the dealers as an GM approved accessory w/GM group numbers and part numbers, for Carryalls and Panel trucks.I dont think it gets anymore ORIGINAL than that!
Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 | PS-this guy is repoing the 14 piece fender trim set and they are really nice.This guy is a split manifold specialist also. The Bomb Shop/Discount muffler 10090 Arlington ave.Riverside Ca,92503 (909)359-0498 ask for "Crazy George"
Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | It was my understanding is that the ss trim was an option for "Deluxe" AD Panel Trucks only...I thought I read that on this website...I hope your right. By the way, I believe I'm corresponding via email with "Crazy George" about a set of repopped trim...I'm waiting for pics. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 189 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 189 | Steveg, i just sold(5)15x6 6-hole chevy artillery wheels, i think they came on some of the early trucks, these came off a 62 chevy truck i had. thanks RJ | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | ViejitosCC,
What are the GM approved accessory GM group numbers and part numbers for the set of 12 stainless steel fender mouldings? I only have documents for 1954 and in that year it seems these mouldings came in RPO 430 Deluxe Panel. It is possible they came in other option packages. I cannot find it listed as an accessory.
It is very possible that a good dealer could buy the moulding as GM parts and do a dealer install. Do you know the group and part numbers?
By the way, a while ago I looked up your car club and it looks like it is a fine organization - doing good things for the club members and for the community.
Thanks, Tim | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 | Thanks for the kind words TC.We try to help out the less fortunate.We do all sorts of fund raisers all year long.I dont have the part numbers here but I will try to get them.I have talked with Mike Ramos(Old car shop,Santa Fe springs,Ca) in the past about this and he confirmed it.In my opinion there is NOBODY,young or old that knows more about GM accessories than Mike.
ps-they are 14 piece sets.
Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | VietjitosCC,
Thanks. I forget to count the long piece on each front fender.
Tim | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Guys...question...I thought the deluxe trim package was actually 15 or 16 pieces which included: 12 pcs fender trim, 2 fender spears and either 1 or 2 rear door glass trim pcs(dependiing on whether you had barn doors or clam shell rears). I think that the deluxe package might also have included ss windshield trim, ss outside door trim and garnish mldngs. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | steveg,
You are right about the RPO 430 package including all those pieces for the Panel Truck. I do not have the RPO number for the trim package for the Suburban, which did not have the 14-piece fender trim set but did have the two-piece stanless-steel barn door glass trim (and stainless steel insert(s)/trim for the windshield, etc). Also, my 1954 Chevrolet (Salesman) Truck Data Book does not mention the fender moulding strips specifically with any option or accessory number (that I can find). I will check the Restoration pack tonight.
What we are trying to determine are a few things about the fender mouldings (this exercise, of course, proves that some of us are anal and/or pedantic, among other anti-social characteristics that we might have):
1. Were the fender mouldings a factory Regular Production Option (or, part of an RPO) available for Panel Truck, Suburban, and Canopy Express (my guess is "yes", part of the RO) 430 but only for the Panel Truck)?
2. Were the fender mouldings a GM accessory available for Panel Truck, Suburban, and Canopy Express (I do not think they were a listed as a GM accessory in 1954, at least)?
3. Were the fender mouldings a set of parts available on-order from GM (my guess if "yes" and thus could be installed by any dealer/owner on any truck)?
4. For 1-3 above: What is the RP0 #(s), accessory #, and/or part number?
Tim | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 279 | Originally posted by tclederman: steveg,
What we are trying to determine are a few things about the fender mouldings (this exercise, of course, proves that some of us are anal and/or pedantic, among other anti-social characteristics that we might have):
Tim I love how you put this.I will and get those numbers today
Gangster whites and straight pipes.....
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Tim...I guess it really doesn't matter what or if there is an RPO # for this stuff...it fits on the AD Burbs and looks great! ...and that should cure all of us from our alleged pedanticism (sic) and our unnatural anal proclivity for being aspiring experts on 50 year old trucks and their component parts. | | | | | Joined: May 2003 Posts: 22 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: May 2003 Posts: 22 | Just a quick note about the repo trim that "crazy george " is having made, I've seen them personally and they are OK they are a little wavy for my liking they look to be hand made and not die stamped like the originals. Of course originals are very hard to find so if your not a stickler for very nice and original parts then these are for you. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | Thanks, Manuel..I haven't heard back from him since I asked for pics...he's asking $1700. for a set (14 pcs)...That's about market value for an original set on ebay (last 2 sets on ebay sold for $1500 each. but did not include fender spears). Anyone who can repop this stuff to at least commercial quality can make some serious $$. Based on the immediate and frantic bidding on this trim on ebay there is tremendous demand. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 | The stainless fender trim was only part of the DeLuxe panel option 390B, it was not a "accessory" for the suburbans. Of course it could be purchased a piece at a time and installed on suburbans. A accessory item would have included all of the parts necessary to install the trim in one box with a single part number, all of the mounting hardware and installation instructions would have been included.
Also it was a Chevrolet only item used in 1947-1948-1949-1950-1951 (partial year) and 1954-55 1st series.
Moving on to 6 lug 15 inch artillery wheels. They were used on 1937-42 3/4 ton trucks and were a option on 1/2 trucks for the same years.
Here is a photo of a 6 lug 15 inch wheel that is for sale on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4542401823&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT
The artillery wheels were never used on AD trucks.
1946 and later 3/4 ton trucks have a 8 lug wheel.
You will see the artillery wheels used on a lot of GM units that had the 6 lug wheels on them (but they weren't born there) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | It was my understanding that 41-46 1/2 ton pickups had 16"X 6 lug wheels? | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 | That is correct,however they were just plan wheels not the artillery type. Actually most 1937-54 used that size wheel.
My 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton also has 16"X6 lug wheels. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2002 Posts: 1,571 | WD, you've just answered one of the great questions of GMC-dom...we've been trying to figure out for ages if GMC Deluxe panels got the stainless trim. My '54 deluxe 1-ton had no holes for it.
Now for the $6500 question...did 1-ton panels have rear fender trim? I have scans of a pair of Chevy panel ads (1/2 and 1-ton) that seem to indicate that only 1/2-ton Deluxe panels had the rear fender trim. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Nov 2002 Posts: 59 | I have a 1947 Chevrolet truck data book, that has the 1948 revision in it. My book shows that the 1 ton had the same DeLuxe panel option (390B) that was available on the 1/2 ton. I saw a 1947 Chevrolet 1 ton panel for sale on eBay a few months ago that had the fenders drilled for the fender trim.
As for the GMC trim, none of the GMC parts books show the fender trim while all of the Chevrolet parts books of the era list the replacement fender trim parts. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 65 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 65 |
New but in an Old Way !!!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2008 Posts: 226 | I have just picked up a manufacture for them as I am ordering a set for my burb. they even will do custom off sets. as I need them custom for my truck as it has non stock rear end and front end
Last edited by Tony'N Weatherford; 03/03/2010 2:25 AM. Reason: no advertising
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 1,132 | What J-KAT said. These exchanges make for some interesting reading and sometimes clear up the mystery. I would like to have a set of this trim for my sub but I think the prices are crazy.
Weeds | | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 51 | [quote=wdoftexas]The stainless fender trim was only part of the DeLuxe panel option 390B, it was not a "accessory" for the suburbans. Of course it could be purchased a piece at a time and installed on suburbans. A(n) accessory item would have included all of the parts necessary to install the trim in one box with a single part number, all of the mounting hardware and installation instructions would have been included. ...' ====== I just found this old thread, and as far as the fender trims...THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS...FINALLY!!
======
Last edited by BURBflooring; 04/27/2010 11:17 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 51 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 51 | Here is a cool pic. of one I found for sale last week...guy hasn't told me if it's gone or not...just want the fenders and trim: DELUIXE FENDER TRIMS! http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4857/dsc08561a.jpg | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | A(n) accessory item would have included all of the parts necessary to install the trim in one box with a single part number, all of the mounting hardware and installation instructions would have been included. ...' ====== I just found this old thread, and as far as the fender trims...THANK YOU FOR SAYING THIS...FINALLY!!
====== Anybody is allowed to buy anything and then install it on any vehicle. This becomes very clear after reading a few years of old posts on Stovebolt.com (anything on any truck is unsurprisingly possible). | | |
| |