Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,142 Posts1,056,485 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#24353 07/21/2002 10:56 AM | Joined: May 2002 Posts: 32 Member | | Member Joined: May 2002 Posts: 32 | OK, like the subject says, after about 1.5-2 miles of driving the engine starts sputtering and eventually dies out. I verified that I'm getting fuel through the line to the carb by pulling the fuel line and pressing the starter and get lots of fuel shooting through. I'm wondering if I'm either getting a gas buildup in the carb or if maybe the accelerator pump is sticking. It's a 1952 235 with a Rochester B carb. I have another carb to try and swap in but haven't done it yet, do you think I'm on the right track or do you have other suggestions?
Thanks,
Lorne
MbOutdoors (Lorne) 1952 Chev 1300
| | |
#24354 07/21/2002 5:13 PM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon | | Big Bolt Shop Curmudgeon Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 332 | You didn't say what happens after the engine dies. Will it immediately restart? Does the engine have to cool down?
Let me pose some questions:
When the engine dies, will it immediately restart and if so, does it start easily?
If it won't start immediately and you let it cool down a bit (10 minutes), will it then restart immediately?
On restarting, does the engine immediately idle and run smooth, or do you have to open the throttle (mash the accelerator to the floor) to keep it running?
Any backfiring?
If it won't restart easily, how long do you have to crank on it to get it to fire and run?
Glenn
Drivin' down a 2 lane country road in a stovebolt.....cowboy, it don't get no better than this!
1946 1-1/2 ton Chevy "Ol Blue", or "THE BIG 'UN"
| | |
#24355 07/21/2002 5:13 PM | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,181 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,181 | I can think of two things:
1) Choke is stuck or air intake is restricted somehow 2) Heat-related electrical breakdown - like the coil is breaking down when the motor gets hot | | |
#24356 07/21/2002 6:19 PM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,897 | Mb,,,check what Glenn and Baldeagle mentioned(they are like hounds on a blood-trail so far  ) Let us know how it works out. 
There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us. - - Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
| | |
#24357 07/21/2002 8:10 PM | Joined: May 2002 Posts: 32 Member | | Member Joined: May 2002 Posts: 32 | Well, it will restart once (maybe twice) after it dies but is very hard to keep running, have to use the choke/feather the throttle to keep it running. After it dies for good, about 10-15 minutes later (cool down time) it will start and run and idle nice until it heats up again, then same symptoms as described before. No backfiring during any of this, just alot of bucking and spitting, that's what made me think of fuel problem somewhere, but I guess it could be electrical too. I guess I could just swap out the carb on spec and see if that fixes it, if not, I do have a spare coil too that I could try in there.
Keep it coming guys,
Lorne
MbOutdoors (Lorne) 1952 Chev 1300
| | |
#24358 07/21/2002 9:06 PM | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 85 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 85 | Sounds like a coil or condenser breaking down under load. In my experience, when a condensor breaks down, it will cause erractic spark timing, which leads to the backfire in carb. A bad coil is easy to spot in some cases. Drive the truck till it dies and go outside and touch the coil casing. (be careful  ) If it is hot to the touch, and I mean hotter than the engine, then it is most likely shorted. Personally, I'd change the condensor first,it's easy and cheap. Sure doesnt sound like fuel problem | | |
| |