The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (1955 1 Series, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 125 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
Firstofall, does anyone know what temperatures are represented by the C --- H temp gauge? I assume the needle should ride halfway between the C & H, but mine is reaching nearly over to the H. Granted, it has been around 100 outside the past couple of weeks. I'm running an original triple-core radiator with a 13 psi cap. When I park, I usually lose a hand-sized puddle of coolant out the overflow hose. How do I know if the system should be burped? Also, someone told me to go to a 16 psi cap, does this sound better? Advice is mightily appreciated.

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
These dash gauges are just indicators. They can very a lot. Does the gauge go right up to the temp. & stay there all the time or does it run cooler & go up when it gets real hot out. A lazor thermometer would tell you what is happening or you can take off the cap & put a thermeter in the coolant & see how hot it gets & compare it with the gauge. Sometimes a new thermostat is defective. Iwould use a 180. I would not go to a higher pressure cap then that.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
It reads cool at startup, then gradually works up to that high reading, which gives me confidence in its accuracy. Also, I forgot to mention the engine's a 350. I'm going over the thermostat right now, would you still recommend a 180?

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
I would recommend a slightly lower thermostat. The temp is when the thermostat opens and water begins to flow from the engine to the radiator. On a hot day (all summer), do you really want the water hitting 180 before flowing? I think the radiator and cooling system has to play catch-up at that point. I had a 160-degree in the 283 I just pulled out. In the high 90s, the engine would stay nice and cool.
I also installed a 7-blade fan and a fan clutch. I didn't get the fan shroud on yet...found out I need to modify it.

-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
It sounds like a stopped up radiator to me.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 83
My buddy also says the radiator could be clogged. I checked the thermostat & it seems to open up at the right time, and running it with the cap off I could see circulation in the top of the radiator, but i didn't know how much circulation was enough. I flushed the rad before i put it in and it seem to flow pretty freely. Could a slight clog be the problem?

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
It really won't be clogged like a drain, but simply coated inside w/calcium or whatever deposits, this insulates the tubes inside & keeps them from radiating heat. Drain a little coolant out & look at the tubes for deposits. My 79 would run hot, the rad was rodded out 10+ yrs ago & had no leaks, it is 3 ft tall & 2 ft wide w/a 4 row core, good stat & fan clutch. I really just couldn't see it running hot w/that big of a radiator but it did. I really didn't want to buy a new rad($500+), but it solved the problem. Now it runs on the cool side.


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0