The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (baldeagle), 158 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,241
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237367 07/16/2007 10:19 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 322
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 322
I am looking for suggestions on how to remove the hood to cowl gasket without removing the hood. I have all but two of the clips off that hold it down....the two that I can't reach are the ones that are located as the gasket turns downhill. I have a 5/32 clutch bit but can't get the leverage to get them started as they are rusted. They have been soaking in PB Blaster for a couple of days. Any ideas? :confused:


Blue 50

1950 3100 w/57 235
Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end
#237368 07/16/2007 11:20 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
If you want to be tricky about it, you could support the hood, undo the support springs and undo one hinge swivel on each side. You would need to guide the hood but it will move to a different resting place for you. This may or may not help you, only you can decide.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
#237369 07/17/2007 5:39 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Are the screws long enough to begin an attack on them from under the dash?


1948 AD Pickup
#237370 07/18/2007 12:10 AM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I know the ones on my truck can be seen from under the dash.


#237371 07/18/2007 4:59 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 272
Mine too Virginiafiretruck, like about an inch long hangin' down there........


1948 AD Pickup
#237372 07/18/2007 2:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 85
i made a clutch head driver out of a 3/8 drive alen wrench, and removed mine with the hood on, worked great,,

#237373 07/19/2007 12:29 AM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 322
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 322
pushrod,
I can see how that would work. There is not much room to get a grip on that screw, is there?

How did you go about making yours? I used my clutch head bit in a 1/4" drive ratchet, but then ran outa room on the two that I mentioned. I then used a 3/8" combination and put the bit in the closed end....need another hand to make it work though!!!

littlebuddie,
I think if worse comes to worse I might try going after them from the inside but was worried about damaging the threads and then not being able to ever remove them.


Blue 50

1950 3100 w/57 235
Patrick’s Saginaw 4 speed and 3:55 rear end

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0