The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 139 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#236068 06/21/2007 11:14 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Over the years, I've seen a fair number of 46 trucks, and am curious about one thing...

Documented in one of the restorations books I have, is the fact that some of the very early 46 models had visible welds on the cab pillars.

This is said to be the result of the auto manufacter's not being able to obtain grinding wheels immediately following the war.

Any of you guys have these welds showing on your trucks?

To date, mine is the only one I've seen with them, and I almost ground em off.

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
Z
'Bolter
'Bolter
Z Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 161
I have them on mine and smoothed them out and fiberglassed over them to hide them. I thought someone had just done some cab surgery at some point. ohwell grin


1946 Chevy Pickip
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
I still have the welds on my pillers. I like it like that, gives it character.

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
I think you fondled my pillars while you were here and found them to be smooth.

I remember it just because that was the first time i'd heard about it.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed
Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Zipper, That was my original thought too... I thought for sure, someone had pieced two cabs together.

Steppenwood, Didn't even think about the 45 being that way, but that sure makes sense.

Frank (fumblin) You never fail to crack me up. I had forgotten about fondling your pillars. As I recall, they were smooth.

At any rate, I think either this situation must be fairly rare, or many others have taken the smooth it out and make it look nicer approach.

Thanks for the responses.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 553
All this piller talk is gettin' me worked up. :p

Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 17
Next gabfest, you can ask

"hey, is that a piller in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me"

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,089
CD,

It may be more like:

"That's no piller, that's my GUT!"

grin


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0