Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,416 Members48,443 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 65 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 65 | Have 49 GMC 3/4 ton with with 8 bolt 17 inch split rims. Want to maintain original hubs, but found that 16 x 6.5 rims are too deep in the back and hit drag links. Looking for reasonably priced 8 bolt 16 x 6.0. Probably will stay with steel wheel, but would not rule out chrome or stainless if price is right. Modification suggestions also welcome as long as not too radical. Long way to go on old truck. Just got the painted cab on frame. Engine, tranny, drive train ready with current old 17 inch wheels. Let me know if you have wheels for sale or know of good website that will understand old trucks. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | We would sure like to see photos of your truck. Most of us thrive on photos here!
There are a number of threads on this subject. Both the 1 Ton and the 3/4 Ton have this same problem. There are rims from older trucks and vans in the 70s and 80s that fit but the centres do not look the same. Also there are current trailer wheels that fit. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | Your best choice is going to be 19.5" wheels with probably 8R19.5 tires. I have had this size on my 52 1 ton and think the size looks great. See pictures on my link. Wheels are available at junk yards, start by looking for single wheel bread trucks. They are also available new at http://www.ricksontruck.com/ Grigg | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | I also wanted to be able to use my original hubcaps. I ended up going to Stockton Wheels ( stocktonwheel.com )and having them make 16s from original centers which I provided. They can do 16s but I don't know if they can do them in your size. It cost $110 per wheel + $75 shipping. Not bad considering the cost of decent new wheels. They had to be reverse offset to clear tie rod ends which gives it a deeper dish look. It took 4 months but I'm very pleased with the way they came out and how they look on the truck. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2515435560071636143WJoceT | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 | I got rid of my 17 inch split rims and searched the world over for steel rims that would fit and not hit my steering arm. I did not have the original centers so I opted some Pacers that have a 3.63 inch back space. The wheels were about $80.00 a piece. Wheels and tires with lugnuts balanced and mounted were about $900. I won't have to worry about tires for a while. I think anything with a back spacing under 4" is about right. The problem is that most modern wheels are more than that. Hit the link below to see the pacers. Of course, if you are wanting to stay close to sotck this won't do but the backspace info is still valid. Good luck, Gater | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Tailgater, could you please give a little more detail about those wheels? Is pacer the name of the wheel itself? What is the rim width? Your truck looks terrific. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 | Truckernix, Thanks for the encouragement. Here is the info. Go to http://www.pacerwheels.com Select RWD and you will see the wheel that is on my truck. Click on it and it will give the detail below and more. Pacer part number is 161M-6781 Wheel size is 16X7 Bolt circle is 8X6.5 Backspacing is 3.62 inches I hope this helps, Gater | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | Tailgater, thanks for that information. I don't think that I have ever seen a link before showing a current wheel that fits, like this link shows. This is original research material! I have seen many posts on this subject and this is a first. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 | Truckernix, Glad I could help. I literally spent months off and on looking and measuring before finding these. There is good clearance at the steering arm even with wheel weights on the inside so don't worry. If they fit my 3800 I am sure they will fit a 3600. Let me know if you decide on these. Gater | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | It's really a shame when a vendor has a line of products to offer and they turn it over to some over enthusiastic graphic/web designer who is trying to make a statement about all he can cram into a web page. The only thing missing is acid rock background. I found Pacer's web site very annoying, slow to load and imposable to access any real information. Lots of animation but I was unable to scroll the pages and get to the meat. If they only realized how much business they lose with a web page like that, mine for one. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | |
| |