| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
149
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,619 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | I found this guy in one of my hotrod mags.. I was wondering if anyone has tried his paint... If it works like he claims it would be a sweet option to buying white walls and for the price it would be a steal. I am not advertisin for this guy, I just want to know if anyone has ordered his stuff.. http://www.mbzponton.org/valueadded/other/tirepaint.htm
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 27 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 27 | dont know if its the same brand but there is this stuff on ebay im going to try very soon i'll let you guys know how it works out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=009&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=190101134447&rd=1,1 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | Thats wild!...I heard of that but never saw anyone do it.
What scares me is that guy wasn't even wearing a dust mask. Talk about black lung disease. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | that's some crazy stuff... I'd hate to mess that one up
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 27 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 27 | i tried the above on a 14" roller tire i had laying around. i just grinded a little patch how he says to in the begining of the video to see how far the white went and it wasnt far enough to look like a actual whitewall. maybe it's the brand of tire. but the one i tried wouldnt have worked the white only extended about 2 more inches out. i'm gonna give the paint a try. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | I know I am handier with a brush than a grinder... The paint looks pretty good for me as well
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | Hey Mike1951- I always heard that the great old, radio comedian Fred Allen was the person credited to making the statement, " I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy."  I have always loved that line! Who was D. Parker? Do you know - I'm just curious. Thanks, Joe 
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 29 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 29 | I seem to remember back in the mid 60's they had something called "porta walls". Essentially they were a flat ring of rubber with the whitewall and a rubber bead mount. You mounted them with your tire and the whitewall would lay against your black tire. They rarely laid against the black tire very well though. They were for folks who couldn't afford to buy whitewalls. I don't remember if they had wide whitewall versions of it though. Just some trivia. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Sep 2006 Posts: 127 | dorthy parker was a beat generation poet comedian etc... she was also known for the line... "what fresh hell is this?" and when asked to use horticulture in a sentence she said "you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think" I remember the white wall porta discs... my friend has them on her 1960 imperial...
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy." -D. Parker 1951 Chevy 3100 | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 135 | As I recall, J C Whitney used to sell whitewall paint. It was a "specially blended" latex paint. My grandad told me about painting white walls back in the 30"s. I painted some radials on my 56 chevy back in the 80's and it looked great. I used some good ole latex house paint. Yup, it looked good till I drove it and the natural flexing of the side walls on the radial popped the paint up. It would work on bias ply, as the sides don't flex, but not so good on radials. Maybe some "special blended " formula would work on radials as well! | | | | | Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 11 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Nov 2006 Posts: 11 | I remember the Porta Walls also. Back in high school 63-66 everyone had to have them. In California they were called Mickeys. Ya know like in Mickey Mouse. | | |
| |
| |