Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,133 Posts1,056,395 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | How the heck does an oil bath aircleaner work? I assume the air does not pass through the oil. If that's true, what is the purpose of the oil?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | The bottom of the element is in contact with the oil, which wicks its way up and saturates the element. It is extremely effective for filtering small particles as they stick to the oil soaked element. The gunk will also run down the element and settle in the bottom of the pan. In Wyoming, where it is very dusty, you won't find a farmer who doesn't have them on their old trucks or tractors. BTW, I've been told that the straw-like looking element in my filter could be hair from the mane of a horse. I've never verified if that is true. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | check this thread Jim , tclederman explains it well some older air cleaners did use horse hair medium, but also a shredded steel material like coarse steel wool or a non-wood excelsior material Bill | | | | | Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2004 Posts: 920 | Another reason I believe an oil bath is superior. Either that, or a comapatible, reuseable K & N filter. Once you have it, you don't have to buy or dispose of parts other than about a pint or less of oil. Think of how many oil saturated metal/paper/rubber air filters are in the landfills. Not to mention the manufacturing invloved and the packaging. I don't mean to sound like a ranting treehugger, but the consume less/reuse philosophy makes sense to me. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Jim Bow,
I don't know what Tim's link shows, but basically as the air comes roaring in through the inlet side of the air cleaner it travels down a passage and is required to make a 180° turn. The air makes the turn but the dust particles don't and are flung into Lake-o-Lube and trapped for life.
I haven't done extensive research on this subject so I might be in very deep sh#t with Mr. Lederman...but I have serviced hundreds of these units when I was shop flunky...work experience...does that count!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint6.htm http://www.roadkill.com/~davet/moto/air.filters.html http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002790#000000 | | | | | Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 29 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Apr 2007 Posts: 29 | Also keep into consideration that alot of older inlines did not have any provision for an oil filter and if you were lucky you had a bypass filter. The oil bath breather helped by keeping trash out of your engine. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | I think 99% of all motor oil contaminants are the byproduct of combustion and driving style, and are created from 'within'. Operating in a dusty or dirty environment might affect the oil cleanliness, but not to a great degree...air cleaner or otherwise. Premature cylinder wear is usually associated with poor incoming air filtration.
Not too many bugs make it through the firestorm inside the cylinder to be deposited into the crankcase. Does this sound reasonable!
Stuart | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 637 | I have used up the rings in a short time as the result of not using an air cleaner. Now I will hardly even start an engine without an air cleaner. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | If only the oil bath filter looked as cool as my paper filter!!! 
~Jim
| | |
| |