Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
133
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,101 Posts1,056,182 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 12 | I have a 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, stepside 5 window and I'm trying to figure out the original wheel size that it came with. I don't have the originals and I'd like to restore the truck just the way it looked in 51. I have the original spare tire but it's a 17 inch, I thought they were 16's. Anyone know? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 243 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2006 Posts: 243 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2006 Posts: 319 | Welcome aboard 51 5 wndo. Tires, tubes and wheels specs from the online 1951 Chevy Restoration Pack at the Keith Hardy site: http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyresto/51150.htm (One of my favorite websites for GM truck specs.)
"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | I have a set of 4 16" wheels and tires with average tread that I will be selling soon. Came off my 3604...
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | Does a 3600 have 6 bolt wheels?
Those 3604 wheels should sell quickly in the Swap Meet. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 | 1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal 1964 gmc 4000 1973 gmc 6000 2005 chevy duramax 4x4 1994 chevy 1500 Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton | | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | The Chev parts book shows 15" and 16" were available. I beleve 16" were standard and the 15" were an option.
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | other way round Dave - optional 16" gives a higher GVW
Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | Randy's link says it all.
Base: 16", Load capacity: 1215
RPO 273: 15", Load Capacity: 1500
I ran into a guy selling a set of 15's for an AD. I guess they are a little rare...at least he seemed to think so. He wanted an arm and a leg for them.
I believe Task Force was the other way around... | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | "Does a 3600 have 6 bolt wheels?"
All I know is my 3604 came with 8 lug 16" wheels. There is a picture of one of them on my "Webshots".
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 874 | All I know is my 3604 came with 8 lug 16" wheels. There is a picture of one of them on my "Webshots". Those look like later model 16.5" wheels. AD 3/4 tons came with either 15" (base) or 17" (option) wheels with hubcap clips inside of the recess for the cap. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | So, those 8-lug wheels would not be of much interest to 51 5 wndo? | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 Master Gabster | | Master Gabster Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 4,983 | So, were the original wheels 8 lug?
~Jim
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 513 | the 3100 had 6 bolts and was a 16, the 3600 had 8 bolts, 3/4 tons (3600) had 15", the 17" came on the 1 ton or 3800 and these were also 8 lug 1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal 1964 gmc 4000 1973 gmc 6000 2005 chevy duramax 4x4 1994 chevy 1500 Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange "I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton | | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 12 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 12 | Thank you all for your help!! | | |
| |