The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Robert Crandall, Bill Hanlon, TGP), 150 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,228
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
I have a 51 Chevy 1/2 ton, stepside 5 window and I'm trying to figure out the original wheel size that it came with. I don't have the originals and I'd like to restore the truck just the way it looked in 51. I have the original spare tire but it's a 17 inch, I thought they were 16's. Anyone know?

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 243
mine has 16x6 rims

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 319
Welcome aboard 51 5 wndo.

Tires, tubes and wheels specs from the online 1951 Chevy Restoration Pack at the Keith Hardy site:

http://chevy.tocmp.com/chevyresto/51150.htm

(One of my favorite websites for GM truck specs.)


"Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
I have a set of 4 16" wheels and tires with average tread that I will be selling soon. Came off my 3604...


~Jim
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Does a 3600 have 6 bolt wheels?

Those 3604 wheels should sell quickly in the Swap Meet.

Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
it should be 6x16 rims


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 5,337
The Chev parts book shows 15" and 16" were available. I beleve 16" were standard and the 15" were an option.


See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
other way round Dave - optional 16" gives a higher GVW

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Randy's link says it all.

Base: 16", Load capacity: 1215

RPO 273: 15", Load Capacity: 1500

I ran into a guy selling a set of 15's for an AD.
I guess they are a little rare...at least he seemed to think so. He wanted an arm and a leg for them.

I believe Task Force was the other way around...


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
"Does a 3600 have 6 bolt wheels?"

All I know is my 3604 came with 8 lug 16" wheels. There is a picture of one of them on my "Webshots".


~Jim
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 874
Quote
All I know is my 3604 came with 8 lug 16" wheels. There is a picture of one of them on my "Webshots".
Those look like later model 16.5" wheels.
AD 3/4 tons came with either 15" (base) or 17" (option) wheels with hubcap clips inside of the recess for the cap.


Steve

'49 3800
'52 3600
'57 3100

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
So, those 8-lug wheels would not be of much interest to 51 5 wndo?

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
B
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 4,983
So, were the original wheels 8 lug?


~Jim
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 513
the 3100 had 6 bolts and was a 16, the 3600 had 8 bolts, 3/4 tons (3600) had 15", the 17" came on the 1 ton or 3800 and these were also 8 lug


1949 Chevy 3600 Flatbed all orginal
1964 gmc 4000
1973 gmc 6000
2005 chevy duramax 4x4
1994 chevy 1500
Trucks are GM and Tractors are Orange

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom." - General George S. Patton
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
5
Junior Member
Junior Member
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 12
Thank you all for your help!!


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0