The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hanks custodian, Southerntruck), 78 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#228979 03/08/2007 2:46 PM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
In my'58, the battery tray could use some "sprucing up" to put it mildly. A ($100) stainless tray would look a little too "flashy" for my bolt.

Anyone have opinions on powder coating a ($35) mild steel tray? It would seem to have better corrosion resistance than paint or undercoating.

Bill

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 162
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 162
I would just buy a new one, and have it powder coated, if its not already.


Chris


1956 Chevrolet 4400
1959 Chevrolet Viking 60
1968 Chevrolet el Camino
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I can't speak for Zereo Rust in this application, but I sandblastd mine and coated it with POR-15. It's holding up very nicely. I will admit, though, I am running an Optima battery, which doen't gas like regular batteries do.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
F
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,682
Ahh just hit it with a .98 cent can of WalMart spray paint.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 82
Bill,

FYI, Mar-K, the moderator in the truck bed forum, sells a black powder coated battery tray you might want to look at. Priced at $50.00 coated, it might be a better bet for you. I am not sure what you would get charged for the powder coating, but this would appear to be a more economical choice. I replaced mine about two years ago, and it still looks new. You might want to check this out.
See below:
http://mar-k.com/catalog/catalog.asp?TruckCode=19581958CS-65


Richard
58 3104
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 679
Thanks, Richard! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for, something better than "just painted", but not so flashy as polished chrome. Mine is undercoating covered, doesn't look so great, and at best, needs to be sandblasted and recoated. All said and done, I'd be better off with Mar-K's then messing with it myself.

Thanks muchly!

Bill


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0