The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jon G, DadsFirstPickup, dt235sd, TUTS 59, RLB, Otto Skorzeny, 52Carl), 166 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,714
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
A
ape
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
I'm going to use my ol'40 half tonne to carry a dirt bike and pull a ATV trailer in the Idaho backremotes. Where can I get a dual master cylinder??? Thanks Tonnes. Jim pea ess, with a rebuit 261 in the Chev, and using it in tough country, should I install my 3:55 or leave the 4:10 rear end alone ? Thanks again.

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
W
Socket Breaker
Socket Breaker
W Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,893
for the dual master cylinder:

Most folks use a early 70's chevy dual master cylinder unit, with a bracket(that can be ordered from various places online) made to fit it... I'm not sure how the '40 half ton is laid out.. but that is what they do on the 47-55 trucks... the AD trucks.

Is your master cylinder under the driver side floorboard on your '40 ?

-W

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
leave the 4:11 gears it will pull the hills 100% better 3:55s are nice for half tons whith 216s to keep the rpms down.
but not much good for loads inless you like to drive in third gear alot
you should be able to go sixty all day long with 4:11s and 261 and will be around 3800 rpm
denpending on tire size
my dads 71 3/4 ton is at 4000rpm at 70mph and it has 4:11 gears and 16 inch wheels (I have taken it to 5000 but that was a hole nother story)


Luke Dahlin

1946 Chevy 2 ton
1966 Chevy 2 ton
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/dahlin_luke_1969.html]1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
A
ape
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
woogeroo, the master cylinder is under the floor. old chevy46, do you know the tire heigth(diameter) of a 16 on tire? The max heigth available ? thanks jim

Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
261's really aren't all that happy at 3800 rpm. I would go with 3.55's for towing with one. I'm going to 3.07 with mine. It is a pretty strong engine, especially if you hop the intake and exhaust up a bit.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
A
ape
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
4onthefloor,I put a Clifford aluminum intake on the 261.KN air system. It's got Patrick's ''mild''cam.Bored 30 over.A Holley 4 barrel(small one for gas mileage).Dual exhaust with hi flow mufflers. Electronic ignition. No idea what it'll do yet. Be on the road in Dec. Am wondering about tire heigth.It's a 4 on the floor with 4;10 in it now.I have Patrick's 3:55 still in the box.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 215
I did not relise you had all that hipower stuff on the 261 I geuss 3:55s would be alright
I never used to like them because we have a
E350 **** van with 351 windsor and auto and it was gutless but we added carter afb carb and edlebrock intake and improved the power a littel


Luke Dahlin

1946 Chevy 2 ton
1966 Chevy 2 ton
1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4wd
http://www.stovebolt.com/gallery/dahlin_luke_1969.html]1969 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Sounds like a nice setup, ape. Mine pulls hills really well with a stock intake and exhaust with a glasspack and dual point distributor and gets about 19 mpg. I'm sure with a bit of uppage it will do even better. I can haul a full load of barkdust or scrap metal up most hills without breaking a sweat. I worry more about stopping anyway.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
A
ape
Offline
Member
Member
A Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 62
Thanks guys. The "oldchevy46" got me envious. Would make a GREAT snowmobile hauler(love to USE those old chevys). NEET STUFF YOU GOT!!! 4onthefloor, thanks, ---I'll post pictures of mine in Dec and give a 'full report'. jim


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0