The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, 50Chevy3100, RdsLessTaken, DadsFirstPickup, tclederman, 1 invisible), 172 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222335 12/20/2006 7:05 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
I replaced my speedo cable about 6+ months ago and then when it went over 30,000 it broke. Does anyone know the length so I can get a new core? I can't remember how long it is.


1958 Chevy 1/2 ton Apache Stepside Longbed
Never trust a driver with a collision shop courtesy car
Photo Album
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I don't know the exact length. Just always bought the long one at the parts store. You can get the length when you put it the housing. Iirc, the crimped fitting end goes to the speedo so you fish the cable through and connect into the tranny. Then cut the speedo end to length. Pull the cable out and crimp on the fitting. The lube the cable with the graphite cable lube, working the lube into the core of the cable. It gets really messy. Then you can install the cable. I am guessing you didn't have your cable properly lubed.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
I didn't use any lube on the cable. I just installed it as is. It broke at the transmission end. We thought that turning it to 30,000 was too much and it hadn't moved that many numbers in a while so broke. So I use graphite cable lube and lube the inside and ends? The only reason I haven't crawled underneath is we have mud, rain and I don't have a dry work space.


1958 Chevy 1/2 ton Apache Stepside Longbed
Never trust a driver with a collision shop courtesy car
Photo Album
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
The cable itself needs the lube, and you have to work it into the internal strands. You will get some on the ends, but it's not needed there.

There should be a small packet of lube with the cable. It needs to be the graphite cable lube, which doesn't get hard in the winter. You can get by with lithium grease in Texas, but not in Kansas. And you're a bit farther north, I see.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 183
Thanks Fred, I know we didn't use any lube on it when we put it in. We just thought the 1 extra digit was stiff and wrecked the core.

Believe it or not, we are in the same USDA climate zone as Austin, TX and Gainesville, FL (Zone 8b)

For amusement, here's pics of a Palm Tree in our recent unusual snowfall...and some of my Chevy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/growin
some more including one of a banana in the snow: http://members.shaw.ca/magnolia/photo_gallery.htm


1958 Chevy 1/2 ton Apache Stepside Longbed
Never trust a driver with a collision shop courtesy car
Photo Album

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0