The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Woogeroo, sparky46, Otto Skorzeny, lumbersawyer, LAROKE, Gdads51), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#218931 11/03/2006 8:14 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
I just spent the last 2 hours fitting the door on the driver side of my 46. Somewhere in another life, it appeared that someone left the driver door open and backed up, running the door into something hard and in the process bending the hinges and wrinkling the jamb side of the door..

I bought a new one on E-bay last summer from the desert. When it did not fit, I was a little discouraged.

46forme from CA even sent me the page out of the manual on how to adjust the hinges, but putting a piece of wood in the door jamb was not enough.

I finally got smart and put an adjustable wrench on the hinges and applied the required amount of force to bend the hinges back in place. The door was on and off the truck at least 25 times in 2 hours to get it "just right"

Whew...glad that's over...I thought I'd wasted all that money on the desert door...it was too nice to not have on the truck and I hated to put the door with a ripple back on...

I'd tell the wife..but you know how it goes....she just does not understand...
grin

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
Are you saying that you bent the hinges with an adjustable (Crescent style) wrench while on the truck and the pillar of the truck door held straight through that bend?

Wow! Nice job!

Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 975
It's not the way I wanted to do it, but the #$%#$ hinge bolts will not budge. The GMC maint. manual pages from 46forme advise to use a block of wood or wooden tool handle to "Spring" the hinge by closing the door on the tool... I figured if I am supposed to shut a block of wood in the door, using a cresent wrench with very even pressure had to be easier on the pillar, door etc than that...

It worked...and I don't have to do it again... grin


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0