The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (1955 1 Series, 49choptop, 3800GUY, Shade Baby), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#216465 09/26/2006 7:54 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
Hi Guys: I've been thinking for the last little while that the next vehicle I'd like to own would be a 47-53 advance design 1/2 ton, preferably 5 window.
I'd like the truck to be my daily driver and therefore upgrade or change the suspension and drive train. I've seen advertisments in Classic Truck magazines for I.F.S. systems using Mustang II front clips and also somewhere on the web where mounting the cab and box on a Chevy S10 rolling frame. If I go with the clip I can see that I will also want to improve the gearing in the rearend and probably the the back brakes as well. Any thoughts from the members on this list would be appreciated.
Thanks

#216466 09/26/2006 8:12 PM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Depends what you'll be wanting it to do. An S-10 is no more a truck than a Mustang II in my opinion, and if you ever want it to work as a truck, you would be well advised to freshen up the existing suspension and go with an unaltered drivetrain except for gear ratios. There are endless options you can explore, but the most tractable and versatile might be a rearend ratio change to, say, 3.55, and a transmission change to a T-5 from that S-10.


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe
#216467 09/26/2006 8:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,441
Welcome to the 'bolt...

"disk to disk" IFS kit... $2500.00

9" rear end with new spring kit... $1500.00

SBC and 700R4... $2000.00

= daily drivability... Priceless

(all prices approximate, not including labor)


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
#216468 09/26/2006 9:20 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
Hey, welcome to the 'bolt you old coot. grin RR you've been watching too many commercials. :rolleyes: grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
#216469 09/26/2006 11:34 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 69
Welcome to Stovebolts. What side of Canada are you from? An I.F.S. is easier and get an old car for donor parts.


New deal for old steel
#216470 09/26/2006 11:52 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 42
I see alot of 4 banger mid 80's mustangs in the local rag. Can you use the front end from one one these as a doner or does it have to be from one with 6 or V8 in it? I live on the sunny Wet Coast.

#216471 09/27/2006 12:48 AM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,317
Mustang 4 banger weighs in at 418....235 at 630...sbc...575.....Welcome to Stovebolts...home of the numbers crunchers! Do you feel lucky?

Dave....I'm "Just another one of those old straight axle farts!"


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"
#216472 09/27/2006 1:23 AM
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
80's mustang won't work, has to be '74-'78. the '79 '94 use a srut type front end-no upper control arm. The kits that use Mustang parts are based on the '74-'78 body, as well as the Pinto, which has the same components. Best bet would b to use an aftermarket crossmaber, then add your own control arms if you need to save a few $$$. Personally, I'd go the S-10 route. you can get S-10s pretty cheap, and doing an SBC swap is easy. Plus later ones have 4-wheel disk brakes factory installed. Or if you want something crazy, find a wrecked Syclone to strip the drivetrain from. Turbo all-wheel drive 'Bolt, anyone?


Bill Burmeister
#216473 09/27/2006 1:26 AM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,756
From one old coot to another WELCOME.

#216474 09/27/2006 2:49 AM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
Hi fellow Canuck,I live in Aldergrove ,BC.Another way some of the Stovebolters speak about is useing the 73-87 truck suspension.Apparently it's pretty much a bolt in and you get to stay all GM with wheels and disc brakes.I printed it out in case I decided to go that route.I ended up redrilling my spindles and installed an Olds 442 differencial as I'm just going to drive it as I would an El Camino- mostly as a car.I also went V8/auto, next step "THE WIRING"(argg)
Lothar

#216475 09/27/2006 3:12 AM
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
T
Tab Offline
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 622
oldkoot: If Jay Leno can drive a steamer to work, IN LOS ANGELES, then you can drive an original stovebolt as a daily driver. Nobody says that you have to go fast. Keep it original.


delete my account and pictures
#216476 09/27/2006 3:59 AM
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14
hotshoe36 is speaking from experience when it comes to loading up an old stovebolt! Welcome to the club, oldkoot.

#216477 09/29/2006 4:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
He old koot. The wet coast you say? Can't be Victoria that's for sure! There is a company in Alberta that makes a super IFS kit. Name is McGyers (spelling could be wrong on the name). Disk to disk about $2400. My question is why? A lot of trucks being built today have solid front axles.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0