The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (crenwelge, JW51, Lostbuthaulinass, Hugh63c10, Gray_Ghost, 1955 1 Series, greenie-reddy), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,237
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215806 09/15/2006 12:10 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 107
Can someone tell me how to check if the king pin is good or not. I took the truck out for its first spin around. She ran great but when I got home and jacked it up I noticed a couple of things that bothered me. One was a major oil leak from the pan, (pretty sure that on is all my fault) the other is pretty good wiggle on the front wheel. I might be replacing a spindle since the threads seem to have stripped and after chasing them with a dye I am just really nervous about anything involving road time.


1946 1/2 ton
I'm not addicted I just don't know when to stop
#215807 09/15/2006 2:33 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
A pretty good rule of thumb is, if your king pins haven't been replaced in 60 years, replace them.

If you want to verify this, put the truck on a rack and wiggle the tire from top to bottom. Watch the spindle/axle mating area as you do this.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#215808 09/15/2006 2:43 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
little horse,

I would be nervous about stripped spindle threads too...especially if it were the left front tire.

Not only is it trying to constantly unscrew itself, but if it were to do so, you would veer into oncoming traffic. Not good! eek

Stuart


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0