The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Bill Hanlon, WICruiser, Gray_Ghost), 182 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,143
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#21347 07/22/2002 6:07 PM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
When I checked the steering box in my 50 3600, it has noodles of old chassis lube in it I was going to try to drain & pluck what I could, and refill with gear oil. Any thoughts on how to flush it all out?

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,248
If you have the steering box off the truck you might try a product like that Gunk that is mixed with kerosene, or even straight kerosene in the box to soften and remove most of the grease.
I don't know that a little grease will hurt the box anyway. Good luck. smile

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
People sometimes fill the box with grease when it is leaking. I am not saying that it is correct but it is done.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Chassis grease was a recommended substitute for the gear box lube. I recommend one of the moly types, the lithiums get stiff when cold. If you are going to use gear lube you will need to put a pan under the truck to catch the drips, it's too thin. grin


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 39
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 39
i was wondering about this myself. my steering box leaks, so what you guys are saying is i could put grease in it? i was thinking it would work just fine, i guess i just needed someone else to reassure me! grin


1948 GMC 250 Series Flatbed
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
S
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2001
Posts: 3,887
I've been usin a moly grease in all my old steering boxes for 15 years [including my old forklift!] and it works fine, and keeps everything under there cleaner.

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature we find it attached to the rest of the world" John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics & Rust-a-holics Unanimous parking lot
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
It is important to use a lube in the steering box that stays semi fluid and does not 'channel' .
If you are set on using grease instead of the correct lubricant , then something like , L-MOS 2 , or similar soft moly seems to work .
Many regular wheelbearing greases are too stiff and can cause galling of the worm or sector , with the resultant risk of binding.
I was taught never to use grease in a steering box for this reason , best , I think , to fix the leak and run the factory recomended lube (gear lube).

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 125
GM makes a lubricant to use in leaking steering boxes. I don't have it's part # but found it in a dealers book of lubricants under manual steering lubricant. It's thicker than 90 weight and cured my leaking problems. Even my newly rebuilt box leaked until I used this-used two tubes.


Grant
1950 Chevy 3100
1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces)
1968 Chevy K20
1966 Shovelhead
1978 BMW 100S
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
5
Member
Member
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 504
The GM part number for that steering lube is
001052182. I paid about 6 bucks for a tube. My steering box took about a tube and a half..Great stuff..


Bill M
53 GMC Hydra-Matic

Home Page
http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html

When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Thanks everyone, GM has dis-continued that lubricant. My local dealer was out, referred me to a Hesser Oldsmobile in Madison WI 608.754.7754. They had 8 yubes left. I bought 2.

Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 90
I can not remember where I read this, but I used about half hypo gear oil and half moly grease (mixed)and all seems smooth and not much seeping. Has anyone else tried this?

1953 1/2 ton Chevrolet

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
I could not find the GM lube, at least not for a decent price. I see American Classic has it, but I also noticed they recently raised their price of it by 250%. I know they support this site, but I think a price hike of that magnitude is just plain robbery. So I got some steering box lube made in Australia, company name of Penrite. Really thick stuff, also not cheap. It leaked past my new sector shaft seal, but I got a genuine GM seal and put it in, replacing the cheapo one that came with the rebuild set from Chevy Duty. Now no leak at all.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0