Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
231
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#21347 07/22/2002 6:07 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | When I checked the steering box in my 50 3600, it has noodles of old chassis lube in it I was going to try to drain & pluck what I could, and refill with gear oil. Any thoughts on how to flush it all out? | | |
#21348 07/22/2002 6:25 PM | Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Dec 2001 Posts: 1,248 | If you have the steering box off the truck you might try a product like that Gunk that is mixed with kerosene, or even straight kerosene in the box to soften and remove most of the grease. I don't know that a little grease will hurt the box anyway. Good luck.  | | |
#21349 07/23/2002 1:52 AM | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | People sometimes fill the box with grease when it is leaking. I am not saying that it is correct but it is done. | | |
#21350 07/23/2002 4:31 AM | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Chassis grease was a recommended substitute for the gear box lube. I recommend one of the moly types, the lithiums get stiff when cold. If you are going to use gear lube you will need to put a pan under the truck to catch the drips, it's too thin. 
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | |
#21351 07/23/2002 4:40 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 39 Member | | Member Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 39 | i was wondering about this myself. my steering box leaks, so what you guys are saying is i could put grease in it? i was thinking it would work just fine, i guess i just needed someone else to reassure me! 
1948 GMC 250 Series Flatbed
| | |
#21352 07/23/2002 5:27 AM | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | I've been usin a moly grease in all my old steering boxes for 15 years [including my old forklift!] and it works fine, and keeps everything under there cleaner.
Bill | | |
#21353 07/23/2002 8:33 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | It is important to use a lube in the steering box that stays semi fluid and does not 'channel' . If you are set on using grease instead of the correct lubricant , then something like , L-MOS 2 , or similar soft moly seems to work . Many regular wheelbearing greases are too stiff and can cause galling of the worm or sector , with the resultant risk of binding. I was taught never to use grease in a steering box for this reason , best , I think , to fix the leak and run the factory recomended lube (gear lube). | | |
#21354 07/23/2002 11:56 AM | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 125 | GM makes a lubricant to use in leaking steering boxes. I don't have it's part # but found it in a dealers book of lubricants under manual steering lubricant. It's thicker than 90 weight and cured my leaking problems. Even my newly rebuilt box leaked until I used this-used two tubes.
Grant 1950 Chevy 3100 1952 GMC 150 (In Pieces) 1968 Chevy K20 1966 Shovelhead 1978 BMW 100S
| | |
#21355 07/23/2002 12:27 PM | Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2000 Posts: 504 | The GM part number for that steering lube is 001052182. I paid about 6 bucks for a tube. My steering box took about a tube and a half..Great stuff..
Bill M 53 GMC Hydra-Matic
Home Page http://home.comcast.net/~bd97/index.html
When you argue with a fool, two fools are arguing..
| | |
#21356 07/23/2002 2:26 PM | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | Thanks everyone, GM has dis-continued that lubricant. My local dealer was out, referred me to a Hesser Oldsmobile in Madison WI 608.754.7754. They had 8 yubes left. I bought 2. | | |
#21357 07/23/2002 4:12 PM | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 90 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 90 | I can not remember where I read this, but I used about half hypo gear oil and half moly grease (mixed)and all seems smooth and not much seeping. Has anyone else tried this?
1953 1/2 ton Chevrolet | | |
#21358 07/24/2002 11:48 PM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | I could not find the GM lube, at least not for a decent price. I see American Classic has it, but I also noticed they recently raised their price of it by 250%. I know they support this site, but I think a price hike of that magnitude is just plain robbery. So I got some steering box lube made in Australia, company name of Penrite. Really thick stuff, also not cheap. It leaked past my new sector shaft seal, but I got a genuine GM seal and put it in, replacing the cheapo one that came with the rebuild set from Chevy Duty. Now no leak at all. | | |
| |