Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,120 Posts1,056,325 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jul 2003 Posts: 586 | It's been over a year since this has been discussed so I thought it was time to check again. Especially since I need the service. I've looked at a few license plate restorers and the cheapest is MoJo Artwork. But, I've been down the cheap road before and it isn't always the way to go. The plates I have are going to need some metal work. Anyone have any good or bad on this company, or any other company in the business? Cecil...... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 | Here is one that I have used, not the cheapest but does great work. http://www.darrylsplates.com/
"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real" "Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe" 41 1/2-ton, a work in progress 68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 Socket Breaker | | Socket Breaker Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 2,893 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2003 Posts: 315 | I used MOJO for a 1936 Fla tag. When I got it, it did not have the white pin strip around the border. Called him and said send it back and he redid it. Good work and he took care of it very quickly. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 14 Junior Member | | Junior Member Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 14 | If you do it yourself, it can also be painted without masking the numbers. You paint the color of the numbers first, then spray the background color. Use a sanding block to sand the background color off of the letters. If you use basecoat/clearcoat, use a coat of clear between colors, and re clear after sanding. This gives good sharp edges on the letters. (also did this on a coke cooler) | | | | | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 587 | I used Darryl, website is above. His work is absolutely first rate. Just like a plate you get from from the DMV. BUT really, really slow in getting the plate back. I believe it was over 6 months for mine, and I only think I got it back then because I started calling and demanding it back. So my recommendation is if you have plenty of time on your hands, go with him. Cost for mine was $75, and that included a bit of metal straightening. But it was a while ago. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | My suggestion is a bit more pragmatic...I am a license plate collector and restorer...I think you would be much better off finding/buying better condition examples of the specific plates you need on ebay or from one of many collector/suppliers. Ebay has 1000's of plates from every state for every year and pretty decent prices...usually a lot less than what it costs to restore a pair of plates. Further, in many cases restored/repainted plates like restored furniture lose much of their value. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 507 | If you are looking for diffrent plates for year of manufactrue registration you could try Daves California Plates he is local and has a good stock. http://www.davesclp.com/ There is also a guy in LA who does plate work will chase down his Email or Ph # and post it. I just saw a set of plates he did for a friend and they looked great.
"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real" "Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe" 41 1/2-ton, a work in progress 68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 422 | steveg, what difference does it make if you put a restored license plate on a restored vehicle? If one buys and or restores license plates to register on a vehicle as YOM plates their interest isn't to sale the plates. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2000 Posts: 364 | The fact remains, regardless of use,,,that original plates are more valuable than repaints. However, if your not going to sell or trade them...then you're correct and the value point is irrelavent. | | |
| |