The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (tclederman, TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 132 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
On the front of my half ton, inboard of the springs and just rear of the axle are two sheet metal plates (one on each side) about 6" x 15" mounted vertically below the frame and held in place with 3 bolts. What are they for and are they needed?


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy olblu49, those plates sound like the shrouds that fit on each side of the engine. A G.M. engineer once said " Parts left out cost nothing, and cause no service problems", so in other words if they bothered to make and install those parts they must have had a reason for doing so. Hope that helps.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
There splash sheilds, they water and snow from being thrown up on the motor and it surrounding parts. If your making a daily driver you need them. There on all truck big and small, or at least were at one time.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
Its driven but not a daily driver. Wondering if I can live without them. Also wondering if they are contributing to that elusive noise I have posted so much about although they are not loose. Thank you.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 96
L
Member
Member
L Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 96
You could sell them to me for repairing rusted-out old Volvo sheet metal.


http://www.leonmack.com/
'48 Chevy 1/2 ton
'66 Volvo 122S 2-door
'68 Volvo 220
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
oldblu49-

Can you post a picture of the plates? I'm afraid I'm missing them and should have them on my daily driver, especially when it rains or snows.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,953
I can get a picture easily enough but have no clue how to post them. I could e-mail it to you directly.


1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Sedgewick"
In the Gallery
1989 Caprice
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
oldblu49 please send me the pictures too. I have one on the right side that keeps splashes off my battery but I never heard of one on the other side. Maybe I need em too.

Thanks

[email protected]


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Most of them have been left off & thrown away years ago. They are nostalgic though & add to the collectability of the truck.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 46


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0