The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,292
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#210304 06/20/2006 10:58 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
I have a 1949 3100 with some OLLLLD retreads. Time for some new rubber.

Current tire size on the recaps reads 7.75X15 on front and 8.45X15 on rear.

Truck VIN plate shows 4600# GVW and then the shop manual I have says "15-6 or 8" for that GVW. Lower GVW's show "6.00-16-6" and "6.70-15-6" for 4200 GVW, and "6.50-16-6" for 4500 GVW.

I'm confused!

I'm not going to haul much weight in this old 'bolt, just want a smooth ride for running around town...

What size modern tires would you recommend?

Thanks!

#210305 06/21/2006 12:35 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 96
Hi,I put a used set of LT 215 / 85 R16 BRIDGESTONES on my 1950 Canadian built 1300. I am using the original 16" wheels and had to install new radial tubes. I picked the 4 up and had them installed and balanced and they seem to work fine. The big problem was finding a modern radial truck tire that was that narrow . You may find it easier having the 15 " rims .good luck , Jeff

#210306 06/21/2006 11:38 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
What do you think of 165-80-15's?

Are these tires same circumference than originals?

Thanks!

#210307 06/22/2006 4:14 AM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 43
I think I am now leaning toward 225 75 15

Anyone have any thoughts either way?


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0