The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Brian Moore, klhansen, wilbur53), 100 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,126
Posts1,056,356
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20970 02/05/2005 2:00 AM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
I am not sure where to post this, it is on tie rod end re-assembly.
46 chevy (3/4 ton), old style ball and cup tie rod ends.
Got it apart no problem.
lapped in new cups and balls.
got the ball bolted in place on the arm.

How do you reassemble it?
tried putting in the screw plug until it was even with the whole, to guide the ball. (like the book says on disassembly)
Light taps do not do it, heavy hits do not do it. I am afraid I will score the ball, it has to be easier than this.


Ted Wilson
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
It,s been a long time but it seems I put the spring & inner cup in than put it on the ball & put in the outer cup & adjuster. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
W
Junior Member
Junior Member
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 40
when i try that the ball did not want to go in. Ended up putting in the older shorter spring, then i could hammer the ball in. it did not seem right.


Ted Wilson
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,221
Ted, have you got all the parts together yet? I don't remember to much about putting mine back together other than I did have to use some of the old original parts. I think it was the spacers or "spring seat" as the shop manual calls them. They are the first piece in on the tie-rods and the spring goes over it. I new ones were to long and wouldn't let it all come together. Compare old verse new and see if they all are equal. Joe


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0