The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, J Lucas, dt235sd, Cosmo, jeffreyguy, Charles in CA, LAROKE), 132 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,221
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
I just looked at the california title for my truck, and it is titled with the engine number... b22867300. Can I retitle this truck with the cab number on the firewall? I plan on replacing the 228 with a 302

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Both my trucks have CA titles 63 and 68 and both use the VIN number. Maybe some one knows what is required to retitle. I know motorcyles were easy.
Larry


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
just have to talk to the DMV about it - if you can prove both numbers, shouldn't be a problem

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
I am not a 100% on this, but I think it just takes a verificaton of the vin number. Just check with DMV, which is where you need to start anyway.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
B
Member
Member
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,029
Most vehicles in the U.S. were titled with the engine number untill somewhere around the mid fifties, many makes didn't have a body serial number which many mistakenly refer to as a VIN number.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I have a truck that I bought with a Texas title that also had the engine number on it. I had to have it inspected by the state police but that wasn't too hard and with it done I was able to get the title changed to use the serial number. Of course this was all in Washington, but California probably has a similar procedure.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
My 41 Sedan was also titled with the engine number.
Since this is a mayor problem in Germany (and I also changed the motor) I made a new number plate for the body and rivited it at the origanl location at the passenger door.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21
T
Junior Member
Junior Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 21
huh--

My truck uses the engine #. frown


Taco
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 65
1953 and earlier vehicles used the engine number for titling and 1954 and later used the VIN. My 51 Chevrolet Canopy Express had a Colorado title and, when I bought it in 2000, it had been changed to the VIN. I started hanging around my grandfather's Chevrolet dealership in the early 1950's and I remember the problems we used to have when you changed the engine. Generally, if you did it right, Colorado would give you a new number starting with COLOxxxxx in stead of using the old engine number, so most shops would stamp in the old number to keep from doing the paperwork. If you got caught, the world wouldn't end, but it wasn't any fun. I don't remember a time that GM vehicles didn't have a VIN.


51 Chevrolet Canopy Express
02 K25 Duramax Crew Cab
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 20
I bought my '46 art deco from Idaho into Calif. The truck had no VIN tag. You folks on the Stovebolt Page directed me to buy a repro metal tag and have it engraved(at a trophy store) with the vehicle id number which was on the Idaho title(not the engine number). I attached the engraved tag to the passenger side cowl with two cluchheadswrews (sideways near the bottom of the cowl using two existing holes). Last week I took the truck to the Gilroy DMV and it passed inspection and the Calif. Title should be in the mail...

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 587
Welcome Steve Ley! Have not heard of you in a long time since I got thrown off that other list.

Taco, I also am in Oklahoma, when I got my truck it was titled with the engine number. I went to my local tag agent, they inspected the door tag and engine number, and issued me a new title with the door tag as the VIN number. Simple.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
I have the same problem down here in FL.
To make matters worse. The engine is blown and out of the truck...
I guess I will go to the DMV this week and see what I can find out.

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Which number was used varied with the state the vehicle was titled in. The thing to do is to take care of the situation before you make changes. Most inspectors will work with you as long as you don't try to snow them, and can take care of problems that have already occured. But it's a case of where getting permission is easier than forgiveness.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
M
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 66
Yeah. I know mine was titled in California then driven down here a few years ago. I'm going to see what I can find out now since this project hasn't really even started for me.

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 608
I Know in NY prior to 1973 there were No Titles,only a Cert of Registration that matched the windshield sticker.
You signed the back and filled in the new owners name to sell the vehicle
You still get a registration but its now marked NonTransferable on the front.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 9
My 54's title originally had the engine number, but the previous owner changed engines so the number was no longer valid. To change the VIN I had to have the truck inspected by CHP and then go to DMV to have the change made official. It was a bit of a hassle because the truck was with CHP for weeks. Since you have the original engine still, I wouldn't think you'd have too many problems with DMV.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
I just went thru this with a Model A pickup. They used the engine number as the VIN. My pickup had had the motor changed and the number pad ground smooth. (It's actually a 29 pickup on a 31 sedan frame.) But I had a NY Registration certificate and bill of sale that I took to the DMV in Utah and they accepted it with no questions asked.

I just have to get the truck safety inspected before they issue a title...and that means I have to get it running...and that's gonna take some work. But I'm chipping away at it.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,820
I would like to hear from anyone in Texas that has been confronted with this problem and what happened.

Thanks,
Joe smile


"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!"
My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.
Operators are standing by to take your calls!
Now cruising in the Passing Lane
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Bigbad---In California all you need to do is call the DMV to make an appointment with an investigator. Drive the truck to the DMV--he verifies the VIN on form # whatever--you pay the fee's (if any) and your new title with VIN is in the mail. Pretty simple process. M

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Hogrocket...would be if the truck was roadworthy.

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
If you plan on fixing it up just non-op it and take it to the dmv once ou get it running. M

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 507
Here in Ca. you can have the investigator come to the truck or you can trailer it to your local DMV and have it checked out by the investigator. Give the CHP a call and they will tell you what you need to do.


"If it ain't Steel it ain't Real"
"Earth the insane aslyum for the rest of the Universe"
41 1/2-ton, a work in progress
68 Shortbed stepside 327/325hp/700R4

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0