Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,088 Posts1,056,386 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | I have a single 1946 Texas Truck license plate that I wish to use some day if I ever finish my truck. Several times I asked vendors at swap meets about one vs. two plates issued....and got conflicting answers.
A couple of months ago at the Ballpark swap meet a vendor whipped out a booklet about the size and thickness of a magazine and showed me a section that verified that 1945 and 1946 only required one plate in Texas.
Does anybody know the name of this Texas License or DMV booklet? I've been searching on the internet without luck. I want to know the Name of the book, Section/Paragraph Number, etc. or maybe a copy of the page. Somehow I expect a problem at the DMV when I get to the window.....
Thanks, [censored] 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | [censored], cant help you with the book but even if they required one plate in 45 or 46 I doubt that would be the case now..I drove my 52 for many yrs with no plate on the front,,a police officer told me that state law says you should have one on the front but you probably would not get stop for having just one, same as the seatbelt law,,just because your truck did not have seatbelts org and you install them later, you are required to wear them... nice to hear from you, I am sure that others may chime in about your book question.............Fred Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 1,682 | In Nebraska, you can use an old tag after they "approve" it, and only need the one tag on the back, but it is not for regular, everyday use.. just for going to parades and meetings and stuff like that.
I know you're in Texas so what they do in Nebraska dosen't mean alot.. but I mention it just because if you are planning on using the truck for a daily driver, or even drive it to work sometimes, you may also want to check to see what kinds of limitiations Texas puts on using an old tag.
an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | The legal stuff made my head spin. I went fishing on the links but still did not find what I remember seeing and reading. Maybe I just need to wait for the next swap meet and take notes next time.
Joker's reference to the policeman scares me. You have to have the information in hand to prove him wrong (in his language...Section This, Title That, Paragraph What) when he stops you to avoid needless problems.
I should be working on the truck instead of searching for information. I won't need that plate for a few years anyway.
Thanks for the help. 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | From The History of Texas License Plates , 80th anniversary edition, published by TxDOT, page 118: Among other info is the statement "....; 1945 & 1946 were the only years for single plates." | | | | | Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2002 Posts: 153 | Cletis! You're awesome.
For $8 I am not going "unarmed".
Thanks, now I owe you two lunches.
[censored] 1946 Chevy Half Ton ('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS) 1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B | | |
| |