The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (moparguy), 98 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,360
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#192424 11/01/2005 3:39 AM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
For what it's worth I will share this tidbit. I finally ordered a shop manual for my 55/1st 4400 from Chevy Duty. Along with the manual I also ordered the '55 supplement, thinking this was something I needed for the mid year model change. The supplement was $6.95 and consisted of 13 pages on the care and feeding of the 1/2 ton rear axle....sheessh, not what I expected!

Stuart.

#192425 11/02/2005 6:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
They should not have sold it to you and should certainly take it back for refund. Chevy Duty sucks.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
#192426 11/02/2005 6:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Never had a problem with CD. Anyone familiar with the difference between a '54 and a '55.1 would know what's in the supplement.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#192427 11/02/2005 8:08 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
atomarc - I have a 55.1. 55.1 has open drive, no torque tube. Rear axle is on top of the springs rather than underneath. This makes the shock mounts totally different. The rear springs are different. If a 55 1st the rims will only have 3 hubcap clips instead of 6. If original colors, the grill back half is black in 55, white in 54. The hood badge has red stripes in 54, black in 55. I'm not certain but also hear there is access to use a handcrank in 54, not in 55.

GMCpanel - MAYBE he should have known, but regardless of who made the error a refund should be automatic.


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
#192428 11/02/2005 8:14 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
50GMC,

Thanks for the info. I am not upset about the supplement and will gladly keep it. I now know what is in it, and what the main differences between these two years are.


Stuart.

#192429 11/03/2005 4:43 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
50GMC...I just don't see the error...except that maybe in the repops those pages should be inserted into the '54 manual. The one change for '55.1 is well-known knowledge. The few times I've bought something that was wrong for any of my projects (due to ignorance, miscalculation, whatever), I've just used the company's return policy to send the parts back (and if that was impractical, eBay to get some of the money back).

As far as vendor dealings go, I have only had an issue with one vendor, and that wasnt on a sale or return...just general rudeness and stupidity. I won't do business with them, and if someone asks about their service, I tell them I wasn't impressed.

atomarc, it's not the main difference, it's the only difference...and then only on 1/2-ton models. :p At least Chebby gave them a model year split...GMC just switched drivelines and kept calling them '54s.


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#192430 11/03/2005 5:00 PM
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
GMCpanel,

I almost feel like I am in the middle of "something" here. I was already aware of
the driveline/rearend differences between the two years. I thought the supplement would highlight more differences, ones I was not aware of. As these two years are basically the same, the manual did all it could for me.

I have had excellent dealings with Chevy Duty and am sure, had I wanted to return the book, they would have gladly accepted it..for seven dollars, it hardly seemed worth it.


Stuart

#192431 11/03/2005 8:11 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Quote
atomarc, it's not the main difference, it's the only difference...and then only on 1/2-ton models. [Razz] At least Chebby gave them a model year split...GMC just switched drivelines and kept calling them '54s.
Not that I am interested in stoking this up, but there is one other (maybe two) differences between '54 and '55-1st Chevrolet trucks (on 1/2 ton and up). :rolleyes:

I have had problems with orders from both Chevy Duty & Jim Carter; but, in all cases, the problems were easily and readily taken care by both companies (in fact, both companies took care of year-old problems that they had no obligations to deal with).

#192432 11/03/2005 9:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
I've never seen anything different except for back of the drivetrain...I think the 235 came up in '54. It's possible that an oddity or two exist with Chebbies and not GMCs, but I'm not too worried about that. :p


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#192433 11/03/2005 10:37 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
The additional Chevy oddities on '55-1st are the standard all-white grill and the different hood side-emblems.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0