Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,136 Posts1,056,426 Members48,441 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Replacing a king pin... Anyone have any thoughts on a wicked stubborn set bolt?? This sucker doesn't want to budge... hammered it, heated it... nothin'!
Did the other side and that went as smoothly as a king pin job will go but this side seems to be pretty frozen up. In fact, it takes a little effort to turn the spindle by hand (without the steering arm hooked up even!) Now I see why my steering was such an effort! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 627 | I eventually had to get a helper to support my axle across an anvil so I could get a full swing with a 12 lb sledge hammer. That was after 2 weeks of heating, cussing and beating with a smaller sledge. Good luck!
Mike Barnes 1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 445 | Kyroil penatrating oil is great and more heat.
dan-pa
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 156 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Jun 2003 Posts: 156 | If the spindle is all that hard too turn , it may have turned into the set bolt and wore into it..?...Could be You just need to really fire it up with the smoke wrench...
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"
Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | Thanks! I'll be back at the garage tomorrow afternoon tackling the *#@%* bolt again... will let you know how it goes... | | | | | Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 59 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2005 Posts: 59 | try heating it up and putting candle wax on it
rh | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | If someone is real good with a torch he can blast in the middle of it part way through on both sides & drive it out. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 5,708 | Larry Bear, What are you having a "hell" of a time getting out, the king pin or the tapered bolt that locks it in? You already did one side OK so I'm sure you know the lock bolt is tapered and drives out from the threaded end. Is it the king pin that is frozen in the axle eye? These two items can become one and require much coaxing!! Heat the eye all around, wait several minutes and spray with WD-40 (or whatever) then grab a good pnuematic air chisel with a flat nose tool and, using all your weight try driving the king pin down from the top! This has to work cause there ain't no plan B!! You must visualize the king pin moving in your mind !
Stuart. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | It's the tapered bolt that won't budge. Have heated it up on both ends and in the middle... have used a good penetrating oil.... have used a heavy sledge... have used a pnuematic air chisel... have cursed a bit... OK a lot... We'll go back to it today.
Why candle wax im4racin??? | | | | | Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2002 Posts: 188 | Larry, 25 years ago I had the same issue with one keeper on a 46 3/4t. After a week I gave up, pulled the axel and had the keeper pressed out at a machine shop. Cost me $10.00. I didn't have a torch, so i soaked the U-bolts in paper cups with tranny fluid for a few days, borrowed a 3/4 drive rachet with a 3' pipe on it and got everything off and 2 the machine shop. Good Luck! | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I had to drill mine out. I took my time and when I got near the wall of the opening, I quit. The remainder of the pin had no strength and I was able to drive the kingpin out. Now, moving the kingpin was another story. I had better success when I used a hardened wristpin for a drift. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 531 | I ended up drilling the sucker out yesterday... took 2 1/2 hours. But it's out! The king pin is pretty sealed in so that's next tomorrow.
Thanks for all of your suggestions! | | |
| |