The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (78buckshot), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,425
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#187679 08/15/2005 3:08 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
Replacing a king pin... Anyone have any thoughts on a wicked stubborn set bolt?? This sucker doesn't want to budge... hammered it, heated it... nothin'!

Did the other side and that went as smoothly as a king pin job will go but this side seems to be pretty frozen up. In fact, it takes a little effort to turn the spindle by hand (without the steering arm hooked up even!) Now I see why my steering was such an effort!


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 627
I eventually had to get a helper to support my axle across an anvil so I could get a full swing with a 12 lb sledge hammer. That was after 2 weeks of heating, cussing and beating with a smaller sledge. Good luck!


Mike Barnes
1950 GMC 1-ton pickup
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Kyroil penatrating oil is great and more heat.


dan-pa
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
A
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
A Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 156
If the spindle is all that hard too turn , it may have turned into the set bolt and wore into it..?...Could be You just need to really fire it up with the smoke wrench...


"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of
us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time"

Lt Gen. Lewis B."Chesty" Puller, USMC
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
Thanks! I'll be back at the garage tomorrow afternoon tackling the *#@%* bolt again... will let you know how it goes...


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


#187684 08/15/2005 11:06 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 59
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 59
try heating it up and putting candle wax on it

rh

#187685 08/15/2005 11:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If someone is real good with a torch he can blast in the middle of it part way through on both sides & drive it out.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Larry Bear,
What are you having a "hell" of a time getting out, the king pin or the tapered bolt that locks it in? You already did one side OK so
I'm sure you know the lock bolt is tapered and drives out from the threaded end. Is it the king pin that is frozen in the axle eye? These two items can become one and require much coaxing!! Heat the eye all around, wait several minutes and spray with WD-40 (or whatever) then grab a good pnuematic air chisel with a flat nose tool and,
using all your weight try driving the king pin down from the top! This has to work cause there ain't no plan B!! You must visualize the king pin moving in your mind !

Stuart.

#187687 08/16/2005 12:49 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
It's the tapered bolt that won't budge. Have heated it up on both ends and in the middle... have used a good penetrating oil.... have used a heavy sledge... have used a pnuematic air chisel... have cursed a bit... OK a lot... We'll go back to it today.

Why candle wax im4racin???


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery


Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
D
Member
Member
D Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Larry, 25 years ago I had the same issue with one keeper on a 46 3/4t. After a week I gave up, pulled the axel and had the keeper pressed out at a machine shop. Cost me $10.00. I didn't have a torch, so i soaked the U-bolts in paper cups with tranny fluid for a few days, borrowed a 3/4 drive rachet with a 3' pipe on it and got everything off and 2 the machine shop.
Good Luck!

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I had to drill mine out. I took my time and when I got near the wall of the opening, I quit. The remainder of the pin had no strength and I was able to drive the kingpin out. Now, moving the kingpin was another story. I had better success when I used a hardened wristpin for a drift.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 531
I ended up drilling the sucker out yesterday... took 2 1/2 hours. But it's out! The king pin is pretty sealed in so that's next tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your suggestions!


Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery



Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0