Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
3 members (WICruiser, 2 invisible),
142
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 | Just read Galbraith's tech on the T5 swap. The one area that was not addressed was the bellhousing, so I'm assuming that he used the stock one? Is this possible? I'm not too concerned with retaining the foot starter, and was thinking that Patrick's Saginaw conversion might work as far as the bellhousing matter. Any additional info anyone can offer would greatly be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | Welcome to the Stovebolt site R. F. - 47-54 bell housings allow the T-5 to bolt directly to the bell housing. If your talking about an earlier year, the T-5 could bolt to the bell housing by use of an adapter or you might switch to a 47-54 bell housing, but other things begin to need attention such as the mounting of the brake-clutch pedal setup. There has been quit a bit of discussion on this subject and you might want to run a search for some of the discussion or let someone else chime in right here with comments.
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,179 Red dot, center of chest ... | | Red dot, center of chest ... Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 1,179 | 6cylinders is correct. My T-5 bolted directly to the original bellhousing on my '48. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2005 Posts: 62 | Just had to drill out the mounting holes a little bit to 1/2". | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 | Sorry if I skipped an "intro"...get to that later.
OK, so now I'm happy knowing I don't have to swap bellhousings. What about the clutch? Lastly (at least for now), my intent is to swap the enclosed '53 rearend for an open '55, as long as there aren't major width issues. The spring plates I can deal with. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 |  Hello R. F.! The spline count on the input shaft of the transmission you choose will dictate the kind of clutch you use. The diameter of your flywheel will dictate the diameter of the clutch you use. Some on this site prefer to use the Camero-Firebird T-5 with the tail shaft shifter and some move that shifter to the top of the tranny by using an S-10 case. Others use the S-10 T-5 with the shifter already in the top of the case. The spline count on these two choices are different and until you decide which spline count is the choice for you, you will not know which clutch to use. Once you make that decision, you shop for a clutch with the correct spline count. I understand NAPA is a good place to shop. NAPA has a clutch to fit the S-10 T-5 in either a 9 7/8" diameter or smaller, depending on the diameter of your flywheel. None of this is difficult, you just have to go "shopping" with your numbers in hand. Your choice of a rear axle should be made with width in mind and gear ratio in mind. Again, you have choices. Most common are the 3.38, 3.43, 3.50 on up to the 3.73, 3.78. But you could go lower or higher depending on how you would like your truck to perform. Again, this has been discussed her at length in the past and if this thread keeps going, no doubt you will get a lot of good information on why some think their combination of all these components is the best. One thing I can assure you, it can be done and the results can be very rewarding!! Joe
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 | RF- This ain't the HAMB, we are much more friendly! So the intro is appreciated, but optional. If you don't do it, we don't get nuts. I'm sure the guys here would get a kick out of hearing what your daytime job is though... Most would be jealous! | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 |
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2000 Posts: 424 | Joe - I thought Rob had seen and knew it all too, but he's on here asking about a T-5 swap and you're firing off answers, so carry on and I'll get out of the way! | | | | | Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 Bolter | | Bolter Joined: Oct 2002 Posts: 4,066 | you gotta start some-where  Redryder pixMy HotrodA veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 | Hey, when you want something answered right, you go to the experts! I may have seen a lot, but I'm about as far from "knowing it all" as you could be!
Well, I guess my cover is blown. My name is Rob, and I work at a little magazine called Classic Trucks. Despite what a lot of people have come to believe, my heart is in traditional cars and trucks (though don't look at my '75 Cheyenne in its current state for proof!).
Now, the tranny I'm planning on using is a TKO 5sp from Keisler. With that gearbox, you can locate the shifter in one of four locations; the forward-most should put it right where the stock stick is now. I think I have most of the parts figured out so far, except for the rearend (hopefully a '55 1/2-ton will work with some coercing).
Thanks for all the help. I like useful info w/o the childish drama! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 4,095 | RF iam a subscriber, don't like the change of format to newer trucks. dilutes the coverage on the more classic trucks. now i have had my say. welcome any way. RON
Ron, The Computer Greek I love therefore I am.1954 3100 Chevy truckIn the Gallery 2017 Buick Encore See more pix1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 | I will do my best to leave content debates out of this forum...got enough of that at the office! | | | | | Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 1995 Posts: 1,159 | Can someone give us a tech tip or two to go with the T5 Swap article -- about the bell housing.
Hmmmmm?
Anyone?
Hmmmmm?
Please!
Peg
~ One of many.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2003 Posts: 452 | Glad to see a Classic Truck guy interested in saving a `Bolt (with engine)!! Sorta strays from the 350r400 combo  . Welcome to the `Bolt!
Current fleet (subject to change w/o notice) \'49 GMC 3/4-Ton , 60 Austin Healey Frog-eye Sprite (some assembly required), 2011 Dodge Avenger, 2015 Jeep Cherokee. No, they don't all run. My other ride is a (B737)no, (B767)no, A320.... Update... was Embraer E190, now Boeing B787. Knowledge is a wonderful thing, but ignorance means you don't know you can't do something.
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | :confused: Hey, Rob, tell me a little about the TKO five speed from Keisler. I'm familiar with them. Where did you come by one of them?
Joe
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | | | | Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 Member | | Member Joined: Jul 2005 Posts: 88 | Check out www.keislerauto.com and look at the "Perfect Fit" Tremec TKO five-speed. They're not the only company that offers the kits, but from what I've been told, they're hard to beat. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Sep 2003 Posts: 1,820 | That Keisler is pretty pricy, R. F., and I'm not real sure the furthest forward location of the shifter isn't any closer than the T-5 shifter would be. Knowing what I know now, and that is not much about the Keisler, I think the T-5 is just fine and, if durability is what your after, the Camero-Firebird T-5, especially the input shaft, will go along way to making a T-5 pretty stout for some week end door slamming racing!
"Truckin' Around .......... Since 1937!" My name is Joe and I am addicted to Classic Country Music. I just can't hep myself.Operators are standing by to take your calls! Now cruising in the Passing Lane | | |
| |