The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Steelonsteel, Hotrod Lincoln), 136 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,261
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#183911 06/17/2005 4:50 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
I put the new 5/8" fan belt on the freshly built 216. The belt was really tight going on. If fact so tight I'm thinking I got the wrong one.
I ordered the stock one out of the catalog.
I have a new waterpump that has a pulley that is abit different, but doesn't look like it would cause a problem. I had my generator rebuilt. Nothing should have changed there.
Any ideas?


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#183912 06/17/2005 6:03 AM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Kevin, The belt on my 46 (216) is also much smaller than I would have anticpated. It takes some work to get it on and off, especially around or over the fan blades. It seems to work fine, but the first couple of times I took it on and off, it seemed pretty short to me.

#183913 06/17/2005 8:17 PM
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
J
Jed Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 703
Kevin, You probably know this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. An old guy down at the generator shop I use told me not to overtighten the belt, or cinch it down (Pry-bar etc.) like you would with a newer alternator. Apparently, the pulleys on these old generators are prone to being split in half if the belt is too tight.

#183914 06/17/2005 9:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 170
Eric, thanks again for the reply.
When putting this on I had to actully bend the thin metal strap ends on the generator up so to get it to fold up against the engine. Then prying with a screw driver I got the belt over the pulley.
I really don't have any ajustment left....
something isn't right....


Regards, Kevin
1940 1/2-ton (Uncle Willie\'s truck)

Thanks for the help so far fellow Bolters!
#183915 06/17/2005 9:51 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Take the belt to a local parts store and get one one or two inches longer. Also, is the new water pump pulley the correct width. Pulley on the car pump is narrower on the later vehicles, I don't know for certain about your era. It could also be your pulley is a larger diameter.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#183916 06/19/2005 5:56 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
V
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
V Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 221
over tightening the belt puts excessive side load on the bearings in the generator/alternator and can cause them to burn out.most generators/alternators only have a bronze or brass bushing that the shaft rides in.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0