| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
7 members (Peggy M, mick53, Steelonsteel, Otto Skorzeny, Robert Crandall, Charles in CA, JW51),
130
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,267 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 170 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 170 | I put the new 5/8" fan belt on the freshly built 216. The belt was really tight going on. If fact so tight I'm thinking I got the wrong one. I ordered the stock one out of the catalog. I have a new waterpump that has a pulley that is abit different, but doesn't look like it would cause a problem. I had my generator rebuilt. Nothing should have changed there. Any ideas? | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 | Kevin, The belt on my 46 (216) is also much smaller than I would have anticpated. It takes some work to get it on and off, especially around or over the fan blades. It seems to work fine, but the first couple of times I took it on and off, it seemed pretty short to me. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2004 Posts: 703 | Kevin, You probably know this, but I thought I would mention it just in case. An old guy down at the generator shop I use told me not to overtighten the belt, or cinch it down (Pry-bar etc.) like you would with a newer alternator. Apparently, the pulleys on these old generators are prone to being split in half if the belt is too tight. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 170 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 170 | Eric, thanks again for the reply. When putting this on I had to actully bend the thin metal strap ends on the generator up so to get it to fold up against the engine. Then prying with a screw driver I got the belt over the pulley. I really don't have any ajustment left.... something isn't right.... | | | | | Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jun 2000 Posts: 2,773 | Take the belt to a local parts store and get one one or two inches longer. Also, is the new water pump pulley the correct width. Pulley on the car pump is narrower on the later vehicles, I don't know for certain about your era. It could also be your pulley is a larger diameter.
Fred 52 3600 69 C-10
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2005 Posts: 221 | over tightening the belt puts excessive side load on the bearings in the generator/alternator and can cause them to burn out.most generators/alternators only have a bronze or brass bushing that the shaft rides in. | | |
| |
| |