The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Woodcmiami, Gdads51, ShopRag), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,344
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Tell ya, given my experience with Shelley's bed, I'm strongly considering painting the wood that's in the '67. You just CANNOT keep varnished wood nice in a vehicle that's out in the elements. I tried for many years before Shelley was kept in a garage and had no luck, outside of unbolting all the metal strips, removing, refinishing, and reassembling the wood every six months...no thanks.

Factory wood beds in '67 were either gloss black or body color weren't they? Paint gets a little dingy ya just apply another coat. Very easy to keep it nice, and a gouge is no big deal. You can always have a nice glossy coat in there. With natural wood finish, it gets a little grayer and more bubbly every day. Hate seeing that.

Guess I could try a tonneau if there's one out there without snaps and also waterproof.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Back in the old days they used linseed oil to keep the wood beds from splitting.I think your idea of painting sounds good.Before you paint apply a coat of linseed oil and give it a chance to soak in,then paint it.This is just my idea,maybe someone else will tell you different. Dale

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Why can't you put on a new coat of varnish with the metal strips in place? I would just do a light sand and a fresh coat every so often with a good Marine varnish. Boats don't get their woodwork redone that often and can look great for years. What varnish did you use?


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
R
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 182
Before painting (or varnishing) check out a product called "Penetrol" (manufactured by Flood).
I 'soaked' the bare/sanded oak pcs. with it and mixed it in with the varnish. It makes varnish or paint flow real nice.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Quote
Why can't you put on a new coat of varnish with the metal strips in place? I would just do a light sand and a fresh coat every so often with a good Marine varnish. Boats don't get their woodwork redone that often and can look great for years. What varnish did you use?
I don't know what kinda varnish is on the '67. Sanding without disassembly is a decent idea except if you don't do it immediately when needed the wood will start to turn gray in spots.

On Shelley I've always used the best outdoor varnish available at Lowes/Home Depot and applied it very thin at first with progressively thicker coats, just the way Brownell recommends in his "How to Restore" book.

May need to search the boat sites to find out exactly what they use.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
The grey spots are areas the varnish, or protective layer, have worn through and the moisture reached the wood. Your method of varnishing sounds great. Build up a nice thick coat of a UV resistant boat varnish and maintain that layer on a regular basis. It would be similar to scratching your paint and waiting for it to start rusting before covering it up.
Check your yellow pages for a boat supply place. Or even online.


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,554
Here we go again.If you are gonna use varnish,I prefer spar urethane it is gonna be mostly for show.It looks just great,but you dont want to be throwing stuff on it ,anything that will scratch the surface.Also when you sand and add a new coat it is a good idea to take the boards out and do the job right.for everyday use,daily driver,hauling stuff,the truck is going to be setting out in the weather,I think treating and painting the wood is a better idea.And it still looks prsentable.

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
T
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,586
On my trucks I stained the wood dark, then applied the clear wood perservative used on outside decks.Every year or so I slop on another coat right over the metal strips,it drips underneath gets between the wood and metal.
Like the others say, varnish is a surface treatment not meant for rough loads.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,745
Painting is just as much just a surface treatment as varnish is. On top of that there are varnishes that are a heck of a lot harder than most paints and so offer more protection.

If the edges are properly coated before installation just do thin in between coats of either on a regular basis with the strips installed. A little masking tape goes a long way. JMO


54 3100 with 235
62 flatbed dump C60 with 261
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Just get urself some creosote and dump it back there works fine. Let it soak in and set in the sun. I've also treated with used engine oil--slop it on let it soak in. No need to mask--first load of dirt or sand will clean it up--the oil gives a nice black patina to yellow pine--sheds water gud. Course if ya got a trailer queen or show truck--these practical bed treatments may not be desireable. grin grin grin


Buzz'n Half Dozen
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 299
To be considered original ,doesn't the wood need to be painted black ? I read somewhere that GM did it that way from the factory.

Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I agree with Dale937. I put the spar urethane on wood for my 37 and its been on there for 4 years. It does need to be freshened up this winter but over all it has remained pretty darn good. I went with "spar" because its suppose to expand and retract without cracking thus letting in moisture to ruin the wood. I keep it inside the shop and I don't haul rocks in it so I guess thats why its lasted so long??


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Moderator: Welcome Centre, Southern Bolters, Legion Hall
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 14,522
I would like to add that I put 4 coats on ALL sides to keep the moisture from coming up from the bottom of the boards. I know it helps. The bottom looks as good as the top and right now probably looks better!


1937 Chevy Pickup
In the Gallery
1952 Chevy Panel
In the Gallery
More photos
1950 Chevy Coupe
Pictures!

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
KK

Ur right the original beds at least on AD trucks were painted black--I'm no purist and certainly don't have one of those concourse champ vehicles, but it sure seems to me that the rules are being bent about those show trucks being allowed to have furniture quality bedwoods all varnished up with the owners polishin em with lemon pledge. grin grin grin Seems like points ought to be deducted for nonoriginal beds. :rolleyes:


Buzz'n Half Dozen
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 454
Probably depends on who's running the show. I guarantee that at a VCCA (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America) show you WILL get points deducted for a non-original bed.


Jeff Nelson

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest." - Mark Twain
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
My .02, As I'm a guy that puts varnish on those boats, I would have to ask what type of maintenance regimen you want to do? The simplest method would be the deck stain, or black paint. Easy to touch/freshen up. For Spar varnish, I would recommend "Epifanes", six coats minimum to start(both sides, and all four edges). The problem with varnish, paint, or any hard, glossy coating, is when you torque down the bed strips, you will invariably break that coating open, exposing the wood to moisture, and the deterioration begins immediatly. I'll be using the deck sealer method on mine, just much easier to maintain. If you are really bent on a clear, glossy look, "West System" produces an epoxy with UV inhibitors, and is extremly durable, and buffable, so you can fix it, if you scratch it. Kinda pricey however.

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
as an aside, what WAS the correct colors for the wood bed in a 67? My wood is so deteriorated, it's hard to tell, but it looks like at one point, both the metal and wood was painted black, and there's also a hint of red paint on the metal. Was the bed black with body-color strips, or varnished, or what? This is a base model truck, so there isn't any chrome anything on it...


I am not bound to please thee with my answers. - William Shakespeare
1967 C10
1983 Olds Delta 88
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Y
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
Y Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 252
Matt, I clearly remember as an 8yr old, playing in the bed of Dad's brand new '67 short fleetside. The wood, and strips were black. But then so was the body color of the truck. According to the restoration tips in the front of Jim Carter's catalogs,(paraphrasing) "the yellow pine planks were painted black, 1955 and earlier, and black OR body color 1956 to '66. '67-'72 wood beds and strips were painted body color. Oak was last used from the factory in the late '30's." HTH

Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 74
hmm...well, that gives me an idea of what to do with the strips...now, to paint the wood black, red, or varnished...hmm...I really like the look of varnished wood, and since I"m painting mine dark blue, black wouldn't show up too well...I'll probably varnish 'em.


I am not bound to please thee with my answers. - William Shakespeare
1967 C10
1983 Olds Delta 88

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0