The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Red75bronco, wvstovebolt, Gray_Ghost), 80 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,129
Posts1,056,697
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
F
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 687
FYI. Thought this was important enough to post here, since 90+ % of the Stovebolters are probably using IE. Win XP users with SP1 only appear to be vulnerable to the attack, according to the article. XP users should get service pack 2.

I'm seriously considering giving Mozilla a try. Really seriously now.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=4&u=/zd/20041104/tc_zd/138544

Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 158
The answer to this...Get A Firewall, and turn on automatic updates and keep your pc up to date. There are free firewalls out there like ZoneAlarm by Zonelabs.

- Shane


- Shane (ChevyToughRebel)
2 Trucks;
-1955 3/4 Ton Chevy
-1979 3/4 Ton Custom Deluxe 20 4x4
1955 Second Series 3600
GED = Git Er Done
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 122
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 122
I've got service pack 2 downloaded but I'm afraid to install it because I've heard of so many problems with it. How many of you have installed it and have you had any problems? BTW, I'm now using Mozilla, works fine and it's free.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 96
6
Member
Member
6 Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 96
ever scince i installed service pack 2 i've had nothing but troubles. first i strted getting all these pop-ups, windows media stopped working, itunes stopped working, my computer kept getting viruses and it went to the point when my graphics card went bang. or all that could be because this was the one faulty computer dell made. o well

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 384
Don't be afraid install it--I lost the registry of a good machine two weeks ago to a very sophisticated spyware worm/virus--came in thru IE :mad: --saved most the data but complete reinstall--XP but didn't have service pakII--had pccillin--updated 3x a day--adaware etc --never had a previous problem--made no difference--boom-- down. W/o svcpakII and goood firewalls--ur courtin disaster.

I now have 2 machines both firewalled connected with Cisco air router(also firewalled)--save both machines data to an independent harddrive and to each other---won't happen to me again--quite painfull--still not 100% up--prolly be loadin software for another couple of weeks. Pay attention--serious.


Buzz'n Half Dozen
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
I too had to completely reload my XP and install service pack 2. After that, smooth sailing.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
B
Moderator
Moderator
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 476
I was going to say more about that, but my wife walked in and started talking to me, and I know what's good for me...

I have been told that the problem with SP2 is that it is designed to block adware, spyware and pop-ups. If certain spyware or adware is present when you first install SP2 then it causes wierd problems. Allegedly if you download the right stuff and clean all this out it will install and work fine.

My problem was that I tried to upgrade from Windows XP Home Edition to XP Pro. (Required for school.) It got into some kind of wierd mode, where it offered to let me boot into the "old" configuration or the new. The new died every time. So I dumped an image of the disk to another PC and wiped it, installed XP Pro fresh and SP2 while I was at it. I copied the disk image back into a folder so I can go find old documents and files, since I have a huge hard disk. Two more days of reinstalling programs and I was done. No problems since. It's been six weeks and works great. I was even able to find and restore all my archived Email from you guys, so I didn't lose a thing.


Don't lose your head to save a minute,
You need your head, your brains are in it.
Burma-Shave (1947)
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,445
Service Pack 2 is kicking my butt... my laptop likes to shut down when it gets a bit warm.. usually right in the middle of the download. I got the CD now, so i'll try that... I lost a lot of data, but fortunatelly for me, i also had just bought an external hard drive where I maintain all my pix and stuff...


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
I've had good luck with mine since adding sp 2. It took me sevral tries to get it downloaded because the download site was so busy when it first came out. If I get too many things running a program will hang once in a while, but I attribute that to my obsolete, 4 year old, 500mhz P3.


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0