The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Waveski, Gib70), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,464
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
I have a 1955 GMC 450 series with a 302 engine.

Here's the problem. The engine idles fine and sounds good but when you give the gas to her fast it coughs up through the air intake and sputters, almost stalls, in some cases it gets caught up and the engine races, in others it would stall. When driving you have to plan ahead and give the gas slow or no go.

I was thinking timing but not sure, what are your thoughts?

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
maybe the carb has some issue's, have you been tinkering with it or did it start doing this all at once,,,,,,,,,,,,


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
Well I rebuilt the carb myself. It was having the problem somewhat before but it hadn't run all that much before I rebuilt it. I was hoping that it would point towards a particular thing and that someone with more experience than I would point me in the right direction.

So yes, that could definetly be the problem.

Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
you are probably a better mech then I but if I had re-built the carb I would know for sure where to look grin do you know of anyone close to you that you might borrow a good carb to run on it ,,how does it start up,,have you fooled with the timeing or dist. at all??also check to make sure you have a clean gas filter,, I had one so clogged up one time that my truck would not hardly run at all, in fact it acted the same way,, replaced the filter and all was well,,good luck,,,,Fred


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
With the engine off, look down the carb throat & see if the accelerator pump is squirting fuel when the throttle is moved. You might have left out a check ball or weight. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 734
It definitely sounds like carb issues. What is it? A Rochester 1 bbl?
If it idles fine, set your timing.
Then hook a vacuum gauge to your intake at a port as close to base of carb as possible. Dial your mixture in using vacuum gauge. Look for highest STEADY reading. Then if necessary, re-adjust engine idle.
If this doesn't work, you may have to take her apart again and check your measurements. Or, if it is a Rochester, do as Carb King says: Remove the carburetor and hire someone to sit in engine compartment and pour fuel into intake 'cause it'd undoubtedly work better than a Rottenchester 1 bbl.
-David


Tradin' up dimes for nickels...
'`'`'`'`'`'`
My \'65 Chevy C-20
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You,ve may have a flat lobe on the camshaft. Pull the valve cover & watch the valves to see if they all go up & down about the same height. If not that it could be timing too slow. Make shure you have the float level set right. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Forget that about the camshaft. I didn,t read your post thurouly before replying.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
The carb on it is a Stromberg 2 bbl. I don't believe I left out a check ball when I assembled it. The truck idles fine and I did set the timing last fall.

That sounds like a plan, check the timing, then move onto check it w/ a vacuum gauge. I am working on getting a mechanic to it since hauling that beast would cost a kidney or two.

Thanks for the info guys

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 8
Timing issues...backfire through the carb is too advanced, through the exhaust is too retarded. Since yer headin to the distributor, look at the points. You say it hasn't run in a while so points could be corroded and a piece of sandpaper and a reset could solve this also. Everything else being OK, IE, carb, points, timing, put in a new condenser. Good luck and let us know how ya did.


"...there can be only one..."
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Aschubox.Not being a smart butt.Butt I know what your problem is about 99%.Frist get the carb ID tag or brand of carb.Go to NAPA auto parts and order a accerator pump for your carbrator.This is all ya need.Your original accerator pump has a leather plunger, it is worn out.Before installing the new pump,put the pump in a cup of gas so the new leather expans for 10 min.Newer pumps are made of neophrim,no need to soke.careful with those old gaskets.I can't tell ya what I did yesterday,but 40 years ago seems like yesterday.Ha Ha.happy truckin One more thing;if you can buy Seafoam at the parts store buy a can and add to gas tank.This stuff is great and will clean the carb well your driving.Its excellent in everthing.have a nice day


dan-pa
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,444
My 283 in The Ox does that too... but usually just once or twice before it gets hot, until i can get the 4 barrel to kick in.. then it runs fine. I'm using an Edelbrock 500 cfm carb.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 1970
Posts: 365
You might also consider a bad coil--often a bad coil will idle but will not allow the engine to run much over 1200 RPM. However if the engine will run at higher RPMs if coaxed, I would then lean more toward a bad accelerator pump, as indicated in previous posts.


Remember 9-11-01--God Bless the USA
JUSTICE, not REVENGE, will prevail

1951 Chevy 1/2-ton Pickup truck
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
the coil check to see if OIL is leaking out of it.There mounted upside down.Just pull the coil wire out see if it's wet with oil.If so change it.Just an old thought again.Im glad there are no questions on the new trucks,Hell I can't even open the hoods and one look at the engine,where do ya start


dan-pa
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
How about manifold heat? The '51 used to have problems similar to that (not quite as bad) in all but the warmest weather until I got the heat riser sorted out.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
Also check to make sure the advance weights in the distributor move, and that the springs aren't broken.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
The distributor is a centrifugal advance type. I checked that as described in the maintenance manual and all looked fine.

I checked out the timing with a timing light. If it is off it is real close, I need to get in there with a mirror so I won't take my head off with the fan blade.

We thought an air leak somewhere like in a vacuum line might be the cause. I tried the old trick spraying starting fluid around the joints to see if it gets sucked in a revs up with no luck.

Again with the problem, it idles fine but if you stomp on it it will just die without a fight. Almost like the gas has just been taken away all in one shot. While it idles it will cough and it is not in any pattern....

hmmm..

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 102
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 102
I've been fighting this exact same problem for monthes. I posted a while back but I was mostly ignored. I'm curious how you manage to sort it out.


1948 3600 thriftmaster
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Listen only one more time change the accelrator pump in the carb.do we speak english.If you want to try instead of paying $6 for a pump. Take the pump out and streach the leather boot backwards,then back to it same shape.this will work for a few days,then it will all start over again. the same problem.I give up.just bring it to my place and I'll fix it for $300.seems people like to be screwed always PS check replace all vaccum lines hoses.there about 45cent a ft


dan-pa
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
dan-pa - the reason I haven't gone right out and replaced the accelerator pump is because I rebuilt the carb completely last fall, the truck ran throughout the winter though it didn't go far. You think it could have still dried up?

The vacuum line fron the check valve to the hydrovac is brand spankin' new, a solid l;ine straight through. I'm worried it might be sucking air in through the fuel pump.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
may have dried up a bit.won't hurt to pull the top of carb off ,look for Water, and check the pump at the same time.also soak the pump in some fresh gas.when replacing the pump slowly spin it back into place so the leather boot don;t curl up.Also try the Sea foam additive to the gas tank.This will get rid of the condinsation water in the gas tank from setting over the winter.The fuel pump should have a vent hole on the side of it.This is for the pump dyafram to breath.If the dyifram goes bad the fuel would be squarting out of this hole letting ya know the pump in bad.your fuel pump pressure should be between 4 to 7lbs when checked with a vaccumn gauge.Good luck on your troble shooting .always back track when your looking for a problem.sometimes these things will drive you up a tree.Do you have a sediment bowl on the fuel line going to the carb?Check for water in the bowl.This could be a problem over looked very easy.3/4 water and no room for fuel.Please try the Seafoam it works


dan-pa
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
I have seen accel pumps dry out in six months, seems to be some problem w/new fuel or cheap pump materials. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
Though the accel pump appeared to be AOK it still isn't working right. I popped her off and brought it to a pro.

He agreed that something was wrong, either a bum accelerator pump or it was gummed up somewhere, maybe a little dirt somewhere.

We'll see if that cures the problem.

Time to work on something else for now.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
A
Junior Member
Junior Member
A Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 23
Well the carb is back... plugged up to beat the band, I don't think that I got it all when I rebuilt it, a touch of muratic acid and he had her cleaned out. I see what you guys mean buy "squirting" out.

She runs smoothly at an idle. When running steady at a higher speed it still coughs every now and then. Giving it gas hard usually causes a cough but it keeps up.

Question about the timing... using a timing light I can see the mark at an idle, when I increase the engine speed the mark can be seen moving and will remain steady at it's new spot as long as the engine speed stays the same. Is this ok?

I would still like top get her running a little smoother.

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 68
S
Member
Member
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 68
thats the way it should do

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 445
Its working ..when you set your timming disconnect the vaccum line,and tape it so it 's not sucking vaccum.Now set your timming.Now replace your vaccum line back to the distributor vaccum advance.Set carb idle screws to max RPM ,using a tack or a good ear.Or turn in screws till idle rough,then back off 1/2 turn


dan-pa

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0