The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Patharr, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#174996 10/11/2004 3:54 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
I'm needing to reseal the power steering gear on my 69 C-10. I was looking in the overhaul book, and it appears that it can be done without the GM tools.

It's been too many years since I had one apart, and CRS is setting in on me. Is it feasible to rebuild one with standard tools?


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
6
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,384
If its just leaking, replace the seals w/a $10 seal kit. You really don't want to take one apart. Brian


My \'64\'s in the Gallery
Pictures in my Photobucket
1964 C10 Custom Cab 350/700R4
1964 Suburban 350/700R4
1979 Ford F350 4x4 400/c6
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
Do it,,, then buy a rebuilt one for $128 bucks if it does not work or if you lose some of the pieces grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Wish I could get one for $128. I was shot a price of just over $200 from my local store. eek AZone shows $150, but I don't trust their rebuilds.

Checked here and on the 67-72 board, couldn't find anyone who tackled one and was willing to admit it. Looks like I better get out the camera when I do it.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,897
The box I put in my brothers 70 GMC 4x4 (4? years ago is still working great.
Local
C ut R ate A uto P arts grin
Use a digital video recorder (3 of them to cover all angles while doing the rebuild.
Use the wide angle option so you can see where all the little parts run off to.
WOrk in a small enclosed room that has no nooks and crannies for the pieces to hide. You will have all the parts even if you cannot remember where they go since you forgot to charge the battery on the video camera..... :p grin


There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 16
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 16
I've done a Saginaw box without any special tools. Quite a while ago but it's still in service and working. Don't know yours specifically, but I'm under the impression that they're all pretty much the same. It's not a hammer and vise-grip job, but it's not beyond anyone with a bit of skill and patience. The only problem I ran into was having balls drop into the case while installing the worm. The worm will still thread smoothly so you didn't really know one had fallen in.
J.

Edit: I remember I used an old Motor truck repair manual as a reference - it was enough. I could scan the pages and e-mail them if u like.


Stranded in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas...
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Thanks, Jim. I've got the factory overhaul manual, which should be enough.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
4
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2001
Posts: 3,458
I rebuilt the ZF steering rack in my BMW a while ago, it was complex but actually pretty easy, since I just dissasembled it and replaced whatever gaskets and seals I took out with a matching one from the kit, which did not contain instructions. Those racks are $400 rebuilt, the kit was $70 and it took me all afternoon, but it has held up for about 50,000 miles no problem.


Paint & Body Shop moderator
A lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 22
C
Junior Member
Junior Member
C Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 22
fred i do suggest one very important thing ...

put a bunch of magnets around the area you are working on the steel bench , the small parts don't end up as far away

ha ha chuck

Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
Quote
Originally posted by canadian:
fred i do suggest one very important thing ...

put a bunch of magnets around the area you are working on the steel bench , the small parts don't end up as far away

ha ha chuck
But if I do that my head will be stuck to the bench because of my tin foil hat!


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0