The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (LAROKE, Gray_Ghost), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,543
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#173758 05/14/2005 10:12 PM
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
Recently purchased new leaf springs for my '52 3100. I was told not to powder coat them because the heat would distemper them.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 586
I don't think it gets that hot. It would take a whole lot of heat to distemper them. I had a lot of things done on my truck powder coated. I didn't get the springs done, but wish I had. If I had a chance to do it over again I would have done the springs and even the frame. Cecil......

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
G
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
G Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 52
I think your powder coater would be the best one to talk to, he should definately know.


1946 GMC 1/2 ton
1967 Chevy 1/2 ton

This old truck sure looks neat, but where are the heated seat controls?!?
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
C
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
C Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 204
Thanks for the comments.

I did speak to the powder coater and he said he has done them before. But just because he has done them doesn't mean that it was successful. So I wanted to get the advice from the field experts and make sure that it was a safe decision to powder coat these.

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
chev235,

You might want to ask the powder coater to give you the names/numbers of a few people who had their springs done a few years ago. See what their opinion is after a few years.

Powder coating a frame that does not twist much is one thing. Powder coating springs that flex a lot seems a lot different thing. Maybe they have a flex agent that can be used in powder coating?

Tim

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I
'Bolter
'Bolter
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 338
I had mine both re-arched and powder coated by a spring shop.

Came out great.

They are spring experts and powder coat regularly.

Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 151
O
Member
Member
O Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 151
Hey InMy40s, I'm trying to decide on new rear leaf springs v. getting the existing ones re-arched for my 54. Can you give me an idea of the $$$ for re-arching?

Thanks! Christian

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
try

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

they made me some new springs, I did not have them powder coated. But I know they have an opinion on powder coating, check around on their site, I know I read about it on there some where.


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
they say it is fine if you keep it under 350 degrees Fahrenheit, read for yourself

http://www.eatonsprings.com/powercoating.htm


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0