The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hotrod Lincoln, 2-Ton, Hugh63c10, Oswald, CuzzFuzz, 1955 1 Series), 61 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,353
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#172042 03/11/2005 11:30 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
I might be upgrading to a 700R4 and I was wondering, do I need to remove the whole engine to replace it? I hope not, cause I don't have a hoist.

Also, I might paint it. I know I'll need a high-heat tolerance paint. What's a good brand/type to go with? Thanks


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
#172043 03/11/2005 11:55 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
What engine is in it? What year truck? smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#172044 03/12/2005 12:08 AM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
H
Member
Member
H Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 328
Well....DANG I know I'm not supposed to ask questions if it's not a pre-73. But it's an 85 305V8. It's open driveshaft. Originally a TH350.

Sorry Peg frown hehe


GO RANGERS grin
Photos Updated so check them out!
#172045 03/12/2005 5:13 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
J
Member
Member
J Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 109
Ok... here goes....
It bolts right in, no problems. rear mount may be different, probably not. You need a new 700R4 converter, and wiring for the lockup. (they sell kits for this at Summit,... )
Driveshaft should be same, so is yoke, usually.
Here's the killer tho..... DO NOT FORGET to buy the carb. kickdown adapter to lengthen the throw to the kickdown cable. (Also known as throttle pressure cable). You will never get it just right without this....... I learned the hard way!
If you decide to buy a non-lockup converter, make sure you get the non-lockup valve mod kit for the trans also...... about $30 or so. Dont do that if your hauling loads tho........ builds up heat!


John Kennedy
1950 Suburban street rod
Pics in the Gallery.......
new site up!
http://home.joimail.com/~kennedyjp/

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0