The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Joe H, moparguy), 118 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,093
Posts1,056,480
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 27
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 27
I swapped out the torque tube and tranny in my 52 chevy coupe for 56 rear end and saginaw 4 speed today. The tranny was wet (at least a little bit)as was the rear, but I drained them and need to know how much to put back in each. Anybody know?

I plan to use 80/90 weight in each, any real benefit to the redline stuff or is it just a bunch of hoopla?

Chris

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
I, myself was wondering about quanities and viscosity for a 1947 chev, 4400 series 1&1/2 ton. And exactly is this redline stuff u spoke of? I dont know what a torque tube drive-line is, but I know that my drive-line is open, do u think that this has been changed out? It seems like I've heard many others comment about that too!


49' Chev, 3808 platform
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
Rear ends and manual transmissions usually call for lubricant to be added to the bottom of the fill hole. i.e. when it starts runnin' out, it's full! smile

Oops, a quick check of the shop manual says its should be 1/2" down from the filler when cold. At the bottom of the filler hole when at operating temperature.

1-1/2 and 2 ton trucks went to open driveshaft about 1941.

1-1/2 & 2 ton single speed rear end holds 12 pints of lube. 2-speed holds 14 1/2 pints. 4-speed transmission holds 6 pints. Both use S.A.E 90 "Multi-Purpose" gear lubricant.


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
do all rear-ends have drain plugs? :confused:


49' Chev, 3808 platform
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 346
Thad,

I'd guess most of them DON'T have drain plugs. I just checked all the rear ends in my shop and none of them have drain plugs (including my '38 1-1/2 ton). On rear ends with the rear cover, it's just a matter of pulling the cover off and letting it drain.

On the Corvette (same as 55-64 passenger), there isn't a rear cover so you either pull the axles and loosen the center section or NAPA sells a suction gun that you can use to remove most of the old lube. The gun also works for putting lube IN if the fill hole isn't accessible otherwise.


'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton
'49 Chevy 1/2 ton
'54 Chevy 6400 2 ton
'55.2 GMC 3/4 ton
'56 GMC 1-ton

No Room Left in Shop
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
T
Member
Member
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 72
thanks Olblue, I thought I was just missin' it. Do u think that I can still find the replacement gasket if I remove the 10 bolt rear-end cover?


49' Chev, 3808 platform
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,096
Thad , you could just take the bottom bolt out and leave it to drain out . It takes ages .
Then you save a gasket .
Taking the cover off , means you have a pattern on hand , (the cover) to cut your own gasket , an easy task , just take your time .


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0