| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (Wooley, 59 fleet),
70
guests, and
4
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,096 Posts1,056,488 Members48,444 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | |
#17199 02/04/2002 2:49 AM | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 27 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 27 | I swapped out the torque tube and tranny in my 52 chevy coupe for 56 rear end and saginaw 4 speed today. The tranny was wet (at least a little bit)as was the rear, but I drained them and need to know how much to put back in each. Anybody know?
I plan to use 80/90 weight in each, any real benefit to the redline stuff or is it just a bunch of hoopla?
Chris | | |
#17200 02/04/2002 3:59 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 | I, myself was wondering about quanities and viscosity for a 1947 chev, 4400 series 1&1/2 ton. And exactly is this redline stuff u spoke of? I dont know what a torque tube drive-line is, but I know that my drive-line is open, do u think that this has been changed out? It seems like I've heard many others comment about that too!
49' Chev, 3808 platform
| | |
#17201 02/04/2002 4:52 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | Rear ends and manual transmissions usually call for lubricant to be added to the bottom of the fill hole. i.e. when it starts runnin' out, it's full! Oops, a quick check of the shop manual says its should be 1/2" down from the filler when cold. At the bottom of the filler hole when at operating temperature. 1-1/2 and 2 ton trucks went to open driveshaft about 1941. 1-1/2 & 2 ton single speed rear end holds 12 pints of lube. 2-speed holds 14 1/2 pints. 4-speed transmission holds 6 pints. Both use S.A.E 90 "Multi-Purpose" gear lubricant.
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | |
#17202 02/05/2002 3:33 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 | do all rear-ends have drain plugs? :confused:
49' Chev, 3808 platform
| | |
#17203 02/05/2002 5:39 AM | Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2000 Posts: 346 | Thad,
I'd guess most of them DON'T have drain plugs. I just checked all the rear ends in my shop and none of them have drain plugs (including my '38 1-1/2 ton). On rear ends with the rear cover, it's just a matter of pulling the cover off and letting it drain.
On the Corvette (same as 55-64 passenger), there isn't a rear cover so you either pull the axles and loosen the center section or NAPA sells a suction gun that you can use to remove most of the old lube. The gun also works for putting lube IN if the fill hole isn't accessible otherwise.
'38 Chevy 1-1/2 ton '49 Chevy 1/2 ton '54 Chevy 6400 2 ton '55.2 GMC 3/4 ton '56 GMC 1-ton
No Room Left in Shop
| | |
#17204 02/05/2002 7:56 AM | Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 Member | | Member Joined: Jan 2002 Posts: 72 | thanks Olblue, I thought I was just missin' it. Do u think that I can still find the replacement gasket if I remove the 10 bolt rear-end cover?
49' Chev, 3808 platform
| | |
#17205 02/05/2002 9:48 AM | Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2001 Posts: 1,096 | Thad , you could just take the bottom bolt out and leave it to drain out . It takes ages . Then you save a gasket . Taking the cover off , means you have a pattern on hand , (the cover) to cut your own gasket , an easy task , just take your time . | | |
| |
| |